by Dr Vaid Ji on Oct 17, 2023
Facial palsy is a neurological disorder that affects the facial nerves, causing a loss of muscle control in the face. It can result in drooping of the mouth, difficulty closing one eye, and other facial muscle weaknesses.
The exact cause of facial palsy is often unknown, but it is believed to be related to viral infections, particularly the herpes simplex virus. Other potential causes can include trauma, inflammation, or an autoimmune response affecting the facial nerve.
Common symptoms of facial palsy include:
- Sudden weakness or paralysis on one side of the face
- Drooping of the mouth or eyelid
- Difficulty closing one eye
- Altered sense of taste
- Increased sensitivity to sound in one ear
- Excessive tearing or dryness in one eye
While facial palsy can affect people of all ages, certain factors may increase the risk, such as:
- Having a viral infection, especially herpes simplex
- Being pregnant, especially during the third trimester
- Having a family history of facial palsy
Modern Treatment for facial palsy:
- Medications, such as corticosteroids, to reduce inflammation
- Physical therapy to help maintain muscle tone and movement
- Eye care, like using artificial tears and eye patches to protect the affected eye
- Surgical interventions in severe cases
AYURVEDIC MANAGEMENT OF FACIAL PALSY-
In Ayurveda, the management of facial palsy typically involves a holistic approach that aims to balance the doshas, improve nerve function, and promote overall health and well-being. Here are some common Ayurvedic treatments and practices for managing facial palsy:
- Nasya Therapy: Nasya involves the administration of medicated oils or herbal preparations through the nasal passages. This therapy can help in balancing the doshas, particularly Vata, which is often associated with neurological disorders.
- Panchakarma: Panchakarma is a series of cleansing and detoxification procedures that can help remove toxins and balance the doshas. It may include therapies like Virechana (purgation) or Basti (enema) based on the individual's constitution and condition.
- Herbal Remedies: Ayurvedic herbs and herbal formulations like Ashwagandha, Brahmi, and Shatavari may be prescribed to improve nerve function, reduce inflammation, and support recovery.
- Abhyanga (Ayurvedic Massage): Gentle massage with warm herbal oils can help relax and nourish the affected muscles and improve blood circulation to the area.
- Swedana [Herbal Steam Therapy]: Swedana helps in opening the channels and improving blood circulation. It can be beneficial in cases of facial palsy.
- Dietary Recommendations: Ayurveda emphasizes the importance of a balanced diet. Avoiding foods that aggravate Vata dosha, such as cold and dry foods, and including warm, nourishing, and easily digestible foods is recommended.
- Lifestyle Modifications: Practices like Yoga and Pranayama (breathing exercises) can be helpful in reducing stress and promoting overall well-being.
- Meditation and Relaxation: Reducing stress and anxiety can be beneficial in the management of facial palsy. Ayurveda promotes relaxation techniques to achieve mental and emotional balance.
Management of facial palsy According to Chandigarh Ayurved Center-
ALL PRODUCTS DESCRIPTION IN DETAIL:
- Detox Premium Powder:
These are the herbo-mineral sachets which help in detoxification and maintain proper metabolism of all the functions. This formulation acts at the level of the nervous system and facilitate the proper conduction of signal impulse from the nerves to the muscles. These sachets have anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and immune modulator. The ingredients present in it are moti pishti, parwal pishti, shukta pishti, Giloy satv, kamdudha ras, Jahar Mohra, akik pishti, gandhak rasayan, sutshekhar ras, etc. It is very beneficial in reducing the swelling, redness, stiffness, and improves the movements of joints.
Recommended Dosage – Take 1 sachet twice daily with normal water.
- Nerve up tablet:
These tablets are pure ayurvedic formulation. Nerve up tablets help in balancing the vata and kapha dosha. It acts as a nervine stimulant. It shows effective results in improving the central nervous system. It contains natural ingredients like shudha kuchala, shudha shilajeet, , praval pishti, shankh bhasma etc. It is beneficial in the Bell’s palsy.
Recommended Dosage – Take 1 tablet twice daily.
- Makar rasayan:
It contains natural ingredients like shudha kuchla, guduchi satva, shudha shilajeet, ras sindoor, moonga bhasma, shankh bhasma, praval pishti etc. These ingredients show antioxidant, aphrodisiac, analgesic and immune modulator properties. It helps to rejuvenate body tissues and act as an immune modulator, Immunity booster, Improves vitality, improves the overall health of an individual, Acts on Central Nervous System, Help reduces stress and anxiety.
Recommended Dosage – Take 1 tablet twice daily.
- Vata Tablet
Vata balance tablet is a rejuvenating blend of herbs is specially formulated to balance Vata doshas without aggravating Pitta or Kapha doshas. It may be used to support overall health and well-being by Vata constitutions with or without food. For those with a dual constitution that includes Vata or a tridoshic constitution, it is an excellent formula for the Vata season, which in most parts of the world is autumn and early winter.
Recommended Dosage – Take 1 tablet twice a day with normal water.
- Panchsakar Churna:
This churna is very effective for acidity patients as it shows antioxidant, anti- inflammatory, laxative, & analgesic properties. It is a classical herbal churna prepared from ingredients like Shatapushpa, Balaharitaki, Shunthi, Swarnapatri, & Saindhav lavana. It helps in removing all toxins from the body & provides good results in acidity. All signs & symptoms related to acidity are treated with the regular use of this churna.
Recommended Dosage – Take 1 teaspoonful at bedtime with warm water.
- Trikatu Syrup:
Trikatu Syrup helps to eliminate excess Kapha or mucous from the body, supports the respiratory system, manages weight, helps to take out impurities or ama from the body, supports healthy detoxification. It shows anti-inflammatory, analgesic, expectorant, antioxidant properties. This syrup is made up of equal parts of three herbs such as Pippali (Piper longum), Shunthi (Zingiber officinale), & Marich (Piper nigrum). It is an Appetizer and improves digestion, supports normal gastric function, and normal circulation.
Recommended Dosage – Take 2 teaspoonfuls twice or thrice daily before meals.