by Dr Vaid Ji on Nov 07, 2023
WHAT IS PNEUMONIA ?
- Pneumonia is an inflammatory lung condition that affects the air sacs in one or both lungs. It can be caused by various factors, including bacteria, viruses, fungi, or other microorganisms. Pneumonia typically results in symptoms such as fever, cough, difficulty breathing, and chest pain..
CAUSES OF PNEUMONIA :
Pneumonia can be caused by a variety of factors, including:
- Bacteria: Bacterial pneumonia is often caused by Streptococcus pneumoniae, but other bacteria like Haemophilus influenzae and Legionella pneumophila can also lead to this condition.
- Viruses: Viral pneumonia can be caused by influenza viruses, respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), or the common cold viruses.
- Fungi: Fungal pneumonia is less common and is typically seen in people with weakened immune systems.
- Aspiration: Inhalation of foreign substances or stomach contents can lead to aspiration pneumonia.
- Chemical irritants: Breathing in toxic chemicals or irritants can also cause pneumonia.
SYMPTOMS OF PNEUMONIA :
The symptoms of pneumonia can vary in severity, but common signs and symptoms include:
- High fever or a mild to high-grade fever
- Cough, which may produce mucus that can be green, yellow, or bloody
- Shortness of breath and rapid, shallow breathing
- Chest pain that worsens with breathing or coughing
- Fatigue and weakness
- Sweating and chills
- Confusion or changes in mental awareness (especially in older adults)
- Bluish lips or nail beds (a sign of insufficient oxygen)
DIAGNOSIS OF PNEUMONIA :
- Medical History: The healthcare provider will ask about your symptoms, any recent illnesses, and risk factors, such as recent travel, exposure to sick individuals, or chronic health conditions.
- Physical Examination: The doctor will listen to your lungs with a stethoscope to check for abnormal breath sounds, such as crackling or wheezing, which can indicate pneumonia. They will also assess your overall condition, including vital signs like temperature, heart rate, and breathing rate.
- Chest X-ray: A chest X-ray is often performed to visualize the lungs and detect areas of inflammation or infection. It can help confirm the presence of pneumonia and its extent.
- Blood Tests: Blood tests may be conducted to check for elevated white blood cell counts, which can indicate an infection. Additionally, blood cultures may be taken to identify the specific microorganism causing the pneumonia.
- Sputum Test: If there's significant mucus production, a sample of sputum (mucus) may be collected and tested to determine the type of microorganism causing the infection.
- Bronchoscopy: In some cases, a bronchoscopy may be performed, where a thin, flexible tube with a camera is inserted into the airways to collect samples for further testing.
- CT Scan: A computed tomography (CT) scan may be used to get a more detailed image of the lungs if the diagnosis is unclear after a chest X-ray.
PNEUMONIA ACCORDING TO AYURVEDA
- Pneumonia is called SHWASANAKA JWARA (fever) in Ayurveda. Major signs and symptoms of shwasanaka jwara include high temperature accompanied by rigors, chest pain, and cough with production of thick, tenacious phlegm. Fever occuring in pneumonia is known to be kapha pradhan (kapha dominant). Vitiated kapha, along with ama (toxins), blocks various naadis (channels) in the body which results in the spread of agni (fire) throughout the body, pushing heat towards skin and raising body temperature.
PANCHKARMA TREATMENT FOR PNEUMONIA :
- Langhana- Langhana is the first line of treatment for accumulated ama and jwara. It also induces a feeling of lightness. Langhana leads to digestion of ama, improves digestive fire, and increases clarity and sharpness of senses. Langhana therapy typically lasts for a period of 3 days and 3 nights. The best seasons to perform this procedure are hemanta and shishira (both occurring in winter).
- Vamana- Vamana is a bio-purification procedure that eliminates toxic substances including excess or vitiated kapha and pitta dosha from body. It also removes ama and mucus from chest and naadis. Vamana is used for relieving jwara, lung conditions, asthma, cough and breathing difficulties.
AYURVEDIC HERBS FOR PNEUMONIA :
- Amalaki- Amla is effective in relieving symptoms of lung inflammation.
- Kutaja- Kutaja is an excellent antibacterial herb, which makes it effective in the treatment of pneumonia.
- Bhringraj-. It exhibits antibacterial, immunomodulatory, antioxidant action.
- Tila- Seeds, oil and leaves of tila are used in ayurvedic medicine for various therapeutic purposes. Tila helps treat pneumonia by inhibiting the action of microorganisms associated with this infection.
- Guduchi- Guduchi is one of the most widely used antipyretic and immunomodulatory herbs in traditional and Ayurvedic medicines. It also possesses, anti-inflammatory, and antioxidant activities, which are helpful in the treatment of pneumonia.
- Vasa- Vasa is used treatment of diseases associated with the circulatory, respiratory and nervous systems. It is known as a primary respiratory herb, relieving symptoms of cough, kapha disorders, bronchitis, flu and asthma.
CAC TREATMENT FOR PNEUMONIA
PNEUMONIA CARE KIT
Chandigarh Ayurved Centre’s ” Pneumonia Care Kit” is purely Herbal and Ayurvedic formulations that provide great results in Pneumonia. The medications not only balances out the tridoshas but also provide relief from symptoms like fever, cough with mucus, congestion etc. This medicines also acts as nervine stimulant. The kit includes:
- Kapha Power
- Trikatu Tablets
- Cough Go Tablets
- Giloy Capsules
- Nerve Up Tablets
- Amrit Tulsi Ras
- Kapha Powder:
This ayurvedic powder is very effective in cough with mucus, cold, and other respiratory disorders. Cough powder is a mixture of some ayurvedic ingredients like talisadi churna, abharak bhasam, godanti bhasam, lakshmi vilas rasa, yashtimadhu churna, tankan bhasma, kaph ketu ras. These ingredients in combination show antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, bronchodilator, & expectorant properties.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 sachet twice a day with honey.
- Trikatu Tablet:
As the name suggests three ingredients are used for its preparation like Shunthi, Pippali, & Maricha. These herbs in combination deal with the loss of appetite, gas, flatulence, bloating, abdominal distension, weak digestion, constipation, abdominal pain, etc.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 tablet twice daily with normal water.
- Cough Go Tablets:
These herbal tablets are beneficial in cough, cold, bronchitis, & other respiratory disorders. Cough Go Tablets are ayurvedic formulation containing Sonth (Zingiber officinale), Mulethi (Glycyrrhiza glabra), Pippali (Piper longum), Kali mirch (Piper nigrum), etc. All these ingredients show antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, bronchodilator, & expectorant properties. This is very beneficial in fever due to phlegm and treats the chronic cough. It helps in reducing cough, headache, rhinitis, etc.
Recommended Dosage – Take 1 tablet twice daily with normal water.
- Giloy capsule:
Giloy capsules are formed with the standardized extract of herb giloy (Tinospora cordifolia). The Giloy herb improves immunity, removes toxins from body, purifies blood, beneficial in cough, cold, fever, & bronchitis.
Recommended Dosage: Take 2 capsules twice a day with normal water.
- Nerve up tablets:
Nerve up tablets help in balancing the vata doshas and kapha dosha, and acts as nervine stimulant. It shows effective results in improving the central nervous system. It contains natural ingredients like shudha kuchla, shudha shilajeet, praval pishti, shankh bhasma etc. These contains natural vatahar properties and helps in curing vata disorders, speed up physical and mental processes. It act as Respiratory stimulant, helps in Joint pain, Inflammation, Stiffness, Gout, Arthritis, Bodyache, Erectile dysfunction, and Body weakness.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 tablet twice daily.
- Amrit Tulsi Ras:
Amrit Tulsi Ras is a pure herbal preparation containing five types of Tulsi extracts Ocimum sanctum, Ocimum gratissium, Ocimum canum, Ocimum basilicum, Ocimum citriodorum. This herbal drop increases immunity, helps to treat cough, common cold and skin, respiratory diseases specially bronchitis. It gives effective results in bacterial and viral infections.
Recommended Dosage: Take 2 drops twice daily in a cup of water.