by Dr Vaid Ji on Oct 25, 2023
Chickengunya is an arthropod borne viral disease characterized by the sudden onset of fever and severe joint pain. The term "Chikungunya" is derived from the Makonde language in Tanzania, meaning "to become contorted," describing the stooped appearance of people suffering from severe joint pain.
The chikungunya virus is primarily transmitted to humans through the bite of infected Aedes mosquitoes. The virus can be spread when a mosquito bites an infected person and then bites another person, transmitting the virus.
Signs and Symptoms:
Chikungunya typically presents with the following signs and symptoms:
- Sudden High Fever: The illness often begins with a sudden onset of a high fever, typically reaching 102°F (39°C) or higher.
- Severe Joint Pain: Joint pain is a hallmark symptom of Chikungunya. It is often severe, debilitating, and can affect multiple joints. The pain is usually bilateral, meaning it affects both sides of the body.
- Muscle Pain: Muscle pain, in addition to joint pain, is common and can be quite intense.
- Skin Rash: Many individuals develop a skin rash, which can vary in appearance from maculopapular (red spots) to a diffuse rash.
- Headache: Headaches are a frequent symptom and can be severe.
- Fatigue: Profound fatigue and weakness are often reported by individuals with Chikungunya.
- Other Symptoms: Nausea, vomiting, conjunctivitis (inflammation of the eyes), and gastrointestinal symptoms may also occur.
- The joint and muscle pain, which can be severe and long-lasting, is a distinguishing feature of Chikungunya.
The risk factors for Chikungunya include:
- Chikungunya is more common in regions where Aedes mosquitoes are prevalent, such as parts of Africa, Asia, the Indian subcontinent, and the Americas.
- Mosquito Exposure: Being in areas with Aedes mosquito populations and experiencing mosquito bites increases the risk of infection.
- Traveling to or residing in Chikungunya-endemic regions can increase the risk of exposure to the virus.
- Lack of Immunity: Individuals who have not been previously exposed to the virus and lack immunity are at higher risk of infection.
- Preventing mosquito bites, such as using insect repellents, wearing protective clothing, and ensuring that living spaces are mosquito-proofed, is an essential preventive measure.
- There is no specific antiviral treatment for Chikungunya, so management primarily involves supportive care, including rest, hydration, and medications to relieve symptoms.
MANAGEMENT OF CHIKUNGUNYA ACCORDING TO AYURVED-
Ayurveda, the traditional system of medicine from India, offers holistic approaches to managing viral infections like Chikungunya. While Ayurveda does not provide a direct cure for Chikungunya, it focuses on alleviating symptoms, strengthening the immune system, and supporting overall health during recovery. Here are some Ayurvedic approaches for managing Chikungunya
- Herbal Remedies: Ayurvedic practitioners may recommend herbal formulations that have anti-inflammatory and immunomodulatory properties. Some commonly used herbs include
- Giloy (Guduchi),
- Shunthi (Ginger).
- Dietary Modifications: Ayurveda emphasizes the importance of a balanced and easily digestible diet during illness. Consuming warm, nourishing foods and avoiding cold, heavy and fried foods can be beneficial.
- Hydration-Proper hydration is crucial. Drinking warm water, herbal teas and soups can help maintain fluid balance and support the immune system.
- Rest and Relaxation-Resting and avoiding strenuous physical activities during the acute phase of the illness is essential for recovery.
- Panchkarma-In some cases, Ayurvedic treatments like Panchkarma, which involves therapies like Snehana, swedana may be recommended to help eliminate toxins and strengthen the body. Abhyanga using medicated oils can help relieve joint and muscle pain.
- Reducing stress through practices like yoga, meditation, and deep breathing exercises can be beneficial.
MANAGEMENT OF CHICKENGUNYA ACCORDING TO AYURVEDA-
ALL PRODUCTS DESCRIPTION IN DETAIL:1. Platfer Tablet:
Platfer Tablet Boosts platelet count and reverse the thrombocytopenia (low platelet count) associated with dengue. It decreases the peripheral platelet destruction and strengthens the host immune system. Platfer tablets also helps reduce fever (antipyretic property) and protect the liver (hepatoprotective property). This herbal combination is prepared from herbs like Papaya (Carica papaya) and Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia) which increases the platelet counts naturally. It provides good and effective results for patients. It increases the physical and mental strength of a person and builds up immunity.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 tablet twice a day with normal water.
As the name suggested “Giloy” is the main ingredient of this medicine. It is a potent immuno-modulator herb. It is beneficial for improving the immunity and prevents from common infections. These tablets provide palliative treatment in fever. The vati reduces Kapha dosha, pacifies Vata and detoxifies the Pitta dosha. It is beneficial in general weakness, recurrent infections, periodic fever syndrome, etc.
Recommended Dosage: Take 2 capsules twice a day with normal water.
This herbal preparation is in drops form prepared from five types of Tulsi. Shama Tulsi (Ocimum sanctum), Rama Tulsi (Ocimum gratissimum), Kapoor Tulsi (Ocimum canum), Shwet Tulsi (Ocimum basilicum), Nimba Tulsi (Ocimum citriodorum) that provides good result in all allergic reactions.
Recommended Dosage: Take two to three drops twice daily.
Liver Care syrup helps in balancing Pitta dosha. This Syrup enhances regeneration of liver cells, promote functions of liver, and improve blood flow from the liver. It helps in the treatment of fatty liver, liver cirrhosis, Hepatitis, hepatomegaly, and obstructive Jaundice. CAC Liver Care syrup contains Ingredients like Kalmegh (Andrographis paniculata), Kutaki(Picrorhiza kurroa), Bhumi amla( phyllanthus niruri), Giloy(Tinopora Cordifolia), Yavakshar( Hordeum vulgare), Imli Kshar( Tamarindus indica), Mukta Shukta pisti etc. These herbs show Antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, Hepato-protective, properties. This syrup improves digestion, enhances appetite.
Recommended Dosage: Take 2 teaspoonfuls twice daily.
Trikatu Tablet is a hebo-mineral tablet of 650 MG and is purely Ayurvedic formulation. CAC Trikatu Tablet helps to eliminate excess Kapha or mucous from the body, supports respiratory system, manages weight, helps to take out impurities or ama from the body, supports healthy detoxification, reduces swelling. It shows anti-inflammatory, analgesic, expectorant, antioxidant properties. This tablet is made up of equal parts of three herbs such as Pippali (Piper longum), Shunthi (Zingiber officinale), & Marich (Piper nigrum) that maintains the metabolism in the body. The regular use of this tablet balances the thyroxine hormone and treats hyperthyroidism naturally. It is an Appetizer and it improves digestion, supports normal gastric function, and normal circulation.
Recommended Dosage: Take 2 tablets twice a day with normal water.