by Dr Vaid Ji on Jan 11, 2024
Cold sores, also known as fever blisters, are small, fluid-filled blisters that typically appear on or around the lips. They are caused by the herpes simplex virus (HSV), with HSV-1 being the most common culprit. Here's some more information:
Herpes Simplex Virus (HSV): Cold sores are primarily caused by HSV-1, but in some cases, they can be caused by HSV-2, which is typically associated with genital herpes.
Transmission: HSV is highly contagious and can be transmitted through direct contact with an infected person's oral or genital secretions, even when they don't have visible sores.
- Tingling or itching sensation around the mouth before blisters appear.
- Formation of small, painful, fluid-filled blisters
- Blisters burst, ooze, and crust over, causing discomfort.
- Cold sores can be accompanied by symptoms like fever, sore throat, and swollen lymph nodes.
- Close personal contact with an infected individual.
- Weakened immune system due to illness, stress, or certain medications
- Sun exposure and other triggers can activate the virus.
- Individuals with a previous history of cold sores are more likely to have recurrent outbreaks.
Preventing cold sores involves minimizing your risk of initial infection with the herpes simplex virus (HSV-1) and reducing the frequency and severity of recurrent outbreaks if you already have the virus. Here are some prevention tips:
- Avoid Close Contact: Since cold sores are highly contagious, avoid close contact with individuals who have active outbreaks, such as kissing and sharing utensils or towels.
- Hand Hygiene: Practice good hand hygiene by washing your hands regularly, especially after touching your face or coming into contact with someone who has a cold sore.
- Sun Protection: Exposure to strong sunlight and ultraviolet (UV) rays can trigger cold sore outbreaks. Use lip balm with SPF, wear a wide-brimmed hat, and use sunscreen on your lips and face.
- Stress Management: High stress levels can trigger outbreaks. Learn stress management techniques, such as relaxation exercises and mindfulness, to reduce your risk.
- Healthy Lifestyle: A strong immune system can help prevent outbreaks. Maintain a healthy lifestyle with a balanced diet, regular exercise, and adequate sleep.
- Avoid Triggers: Identify and avoid personal triggers that may bring on cold sore outbreaks, such as certain foods or activities.
- Avoid Touching: Do not touch or pick at cold sores to prevent further spread and potential bacterial infection.
Ayurvedic Management of Cold Sores-
In Ayurveda, cold sores are often attributed to an imbalance in the body's doshas, primarily Pitta and sometimes Vata. Ayurveda offers a holistic approach to managing cold sores by addressing the underlying causes and imbalances. Here are some Ayurvedic recommendations for dealing with cold sores:
- Dietary Changes:
- Avoid foods that can aggravate Pitta dosha, such as spicy, sour, and salty foods.
- Opt for a cooling diet with foods like cucumber, coconut, and ghee.
- Stay hydrated by drinking cool, pure water.
- Ayurveda suggests various herbs and remedies like aloe Vera gel, Yashtimadhu, and neem to soothe the affected area.
- Triphala powder or decoctions can help purify the blood and balance doshas.
- Managing Stress:Stress can exacerbate cold sore outbreaks. Practicing relaxation techniques like meditation and yoga can help manage stress and maintain doshic balance.
- Oil Pulling:Oil pulling with coconut or sesame oil can help maintain oral hygiene and reduce the risk of infection.
- Lifestyle:Maintain a regular daily routine and get adequate rest to balance Vata dosha.
- Avoid excessive sun exposure, as it can trigger outbreaks.
CAC MEDICINES HELPFUL IN COLD SORES
1. Skin Care Plus tablet:
Skin care tablet is a pure ayurvedic formulation. It helps to maintain the texture of your skin depending on the type of skin you have. It contains various herbs like Haridra khand, Panchnimb churna, Khadir chahal, Chirayta, Mulethi, Chopchini, Gandhak, Ajmoda that work very effectively on all skin types. Skin care is a blood purifying tablet. It cools and detoxifies the blood, increase blood circulation of the skin. It minimizes the blemishes, lighten sun tan, delay ageing of skin and heal skin problems.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 tablet twice daily.
- Panchatikta Ghrita Guggulu:
Panchatikta Ghrita Guggulu is an ayurvedic preparation mainly used for skin diseases. This tablet contains pure herbal ingredients such as Nimba(Azadirachta indica), Patola(Cucumis acutangulus), Guduchi(Tinospora cordifolia), Vasa(Adhatoda vasica), etc. This tablet promotes detoxification and rejuvenation. Panchatikta Ghrita Guggulu tablet is a natural source of anti – oxidant. It promotes engender vibrant and healthy skin.
Recommended Dosage–Take 1 tablets twice a day with normal water
- Detox Premium Powder:
This is a herbo-mineral preparation that contains ingredients like Parwal Pishti, Giloy satv, Shukta Pishti, Kamdudha Ras, Gandhak Rasayan, etc.
Parwal Pishti: This Pishti reduces inflammation, flaking, itching of the skin. The Pishti is composed of natural coral calcium processed with rose water.
Shukta Pishti: It helps to balance the Pitta dosha in the body. All signs and symptoms related to Psoriasis patients are managed with this article.
Giloy Satv: This satv is prepared from the herb Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia). The anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and analgesic properties of this herb deal with psoriasis easily.
Kamdudha Ras: This herbal-mineral classical preparation balances Pitta dosha in the body.
Gandhak Rasayana: This herbal preparation is used since ancient times for all types of skin disorders.
Tal Sindoor: It contains ingredients like Shuddh parad, Aloe vera, Gandhak, etc that relieve redness in psoriasis patients.
Akik Pishti: This Pishti reduces all types of Pitta related disorder hence it gives good results in psoriasis.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 sachet twice daily with plain water.
- Twak Tailam
CAC TWAK TAILAM is the herbal oil and is purely Ayurvedic preparation. CAC Twak Tailam provides relief from various skin problems such as pimples, blemishes, scars, ulcers, wounds, skin rashes, dry patches, itching, skin irritation, reduces redness, etc. It is composed of natural herbs that pacifies all three doshas and provides healthy skin. This oil is made up of pure herbs such as yashtimadhu (Glycyrrhiza glabra), manjistha (Rubia cordifolia). Twak tailam supports skin health, helps in reducing uneven pigments, delays the process of ageing, improves complexion, and helps in deep detoxification, blood purification without any side effects. This oil moisturizes your skin, and makes your skin spotless and glowing naturally.