by Dr Vaid Ji on Nov 09, 2023
Epistaxis refers to bleeding from the blood vessels in the nose. It can occur in the front (anterior epistaxis) or back (posterior epistaxis) of the nasal passages.
Common causes of nosebleeds include:
- Dry air, which can lead to nasal dryness and irritation.
- Nose picking or injury, which can damage the blood vessels.
- Allergies, infections, or irritants that affect the nasal lining.
- High blood pressure (hypertension) or blood clotting disorders.
- Medications, like anticoagulants (blood thinners) that affect clotting.
- Underlying medical conditions or diseases, such as nasal polyps or tumors.
Symptoms of epistaxis can include:
- Blood dripping from one or both nostrils.
- Blood running down the back of the throat.
- A metallic taste in the mouth.
- Nasal congestion or discomfort.
Certain factors may increase the risk of experiencing nosebleeds, including:
- Dry or arid climate.
- Frequent nose picking.
- Frequent exposure to irritants, such as smoke or chemicals.
- Family history of nosebleeds.
- Use of blood-thinning medications.
- Medical conditions that affect clotting or the nasal passages.
In most cases, nosebleeds are minor and resolve without complications. However, recurrent or severe nosebleeds can lead to complications, including:
- Anemia due to chronic blood loss
- Infection of the nasal passages
- Damage to the nasal septum (the wall dividing the nostrils) in severe cases
- Epistaxis in children can be particularly distressing and may require medical attention.
MANAGEMENT OF EPISTAXIS-
In Ayurveda, epistaxis, commonly known as "Nasagata Raktapitta," is understood as a condition of bleeding from the nose. Ayurveda provides insights into its causes, prevention, and management. According to Ayurvedic principles, imbalances in the doshas (Vata, Pitta, and Kapha) and certain lifestyle factors can contribute to nosebleeds. Here are some aspects of epistaxis in Ayurveda:
- Ayurveda emphasizes the prevention of nosebleeds by balancing the doshas and adopting a lifestyle that reduces the risk of Pitta aggravation.
- This includes consuming a diet that is cooling and soothing, staying hydrated, and avoiding spicy, hot, or pungent foods.
- Protecting the nasal passages from injuries and irritants.
- Here are some Ayurvedic approaches to managing epistaxis:
- Balancing Doshas:
The primary focus is on pacifying excess Pitta dosha, which is often associated with nosebleeds. To balance Pitta, consume cooling and soothing foods and beverages, and avoid hot and spicy foods that can exacerbate the condition.
- Dietary Guidelines:
Consume a diet that includes cooling and hydrating foods. This can include fresh fruits, vegetables, dairy products, and ghee
- Herbs like coriander, fennel, and coconut may be beneficial for their cooling properties.
- Stay well-hydrated to prevent dryness of the nasal passages.
- Lifestyle Modifications:
Avoid exposure to extreme heat, stress, and environmental irritants that can worsen epistaxis.
Maintain a regular daily routine (dinacharya) to promote balance and stability in the body.
- Herbal Remedies-
Ayurvedic herbs with cooling and hemostatic properties may be used to manage nosebleeds. These may include
- Nasal care- Local applications in the form of medicated nasal oils or ghee can help soothe the nasal passages and prevent dryness and irritation. These may include Anu Taila or Shadbindu Taila.
- Stress Reduction- Yoga and meditation can help balance the mind and body, reducing the risk of nosebleeds.
EPISTAXIS GO KIT
All products description in detail:
- Anu Tailam:
Anu tailam is herbal and ayurvedic oil used for the nasal instillation that treats various diseases. It is administrated through the nasal passage to lubricate, protect, and calm the mind. This herbal oil is prepared from ingredients like – Sesame oil, Bael tree root, Solanum root, Cinnamon stem bark, Cardamom fruit, Desmodium root, etc. It mainly balances the Kapha dosha and is beneficial in diseases of head, brain, face, nose, and eyes. Its use is generally recommended in chronic headache, the problem of migraine, sinusitis, improves the voice, and vocal cords.
Recommended Dosage – Put 2-3 drops of Anu tailam in each nostril twice a day.
- Detox Premium Powder:
Detox premium powder is prepared from ingredients such as Shankh bhasma, Sutshekhar ras, Parwal pishti, Shukta, Giloy, Kamdudha ras, Shwet parpati that gives calming effect on the stomach. The ingredients in this powder have anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and antacid properties. It mainly helps in lowering the pitta dosha of the body and maintains proper digestion of the body.
Recommended Dosage: Take one sachet twice daily with normal water.
- Pain -O-Kill Syrup:
This herbal oil is prepared from ingredients like Hadjod stem, Ashwagandha roots, Shalaki Gum, Suranjan sweet Gum, Punarnava Root, Methi seeds, Nirgundi leaves, Garlic Bulb, etc. It is very beneficial in reducing stiffness, inflammation, and pain. This syrup helps to rejuvenate the body tissues and improve the muscle tone. Regular use of this syrup is beneficial in the epistaxis condition.
Recommended Dosage – Take 2 teaspoonfuls twice a day.
- Nerve up Tablet:
These are classical herbal tablets that balance the vata dosha in the body & provide good results to epistaxis patients. The ingredients such as, jahar mohra pishti, giloy, jahar mohra pishti, etc are used for the preparation of these tablets.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 tablet twice a day with normal water.
- Stop Bleeding Tablet:
Stop bleeding tablet is a pure herbal formulation that works as an anticoagulant. It helps to stop or reduce heavy bleeding and thus reduce the excessive unwanted bleeding. These tablets have anti-inflammatory, Analgesic, anticoagulant properties. It also pacifies pitta doshas and helps in detoxification of rakta dhatu (blood tissue). The Ingredients present in these tablets are Nagkesar, Laksha , Moch ras, Swarn gairic, Kehrwa pisthri. These tablets Helps to stop bleeding from nose and mouth, used in thrombocytopenic purpura, bleeding disorder, heavy menstrual bleeding, Ulcerative colitis, Peptic ulcers, Wounds& cuts.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 tablet twice daily with normal water.