KARELA (BITTER GOURD)
by Dr Vaid Ji on Nov 09, 2023
DESCRIPTION :Bitter gourd or Bitter melon botanically known as Momordica charantia belongs to the family Cucurbitaceae. It is commonly known as balsam pear, karela, kugua or bitter melon. It is a well known indian vegetable. It is called bitter gourd as the entire plant including the fruit tastes very bitter. Karela is widely cultivated in countries like india, china, japan, brazil, new zealand and south america.
MEDICINAL PROPERTIES :
- RASA - tikta, katu
- GUNA - laghu, rooksha
- VIRYA - ahima (neither too hot nor too cold)
- VIPAKA - katu
- KARMA - kapha-pitta hara, deepan.
PROPERTIES OF KARELA :
Bitter gourd, also known as karela, is a vegetable with several unique properties:
- Bitter Taste: Karela is known for its intensely bitter taste, which is an acquired taste for some. The bitterness comes from compounds like momordicin.
- Nutrient-Rich: Despite its bitterness, bitter gourd is a rich source of vitamins, especially vitamin C and vitamin A. It also contains minerals like iron, potassium, and dietary fiber.
- Low in Calories: Bitter gourd is low in calories, making it a good choice for those looking to manage their weight.
- Antioxidant Properties: It contains antioxidants like flavonoids and polyphenols, which can help protect cells from oxidative damage.
- Anti-Inflammatory: It has anti-inflammatory properties and may be used to alleviate some inflammatory conditions.
BENIFITS OF KARELA :
Bitter gourd, also known as karela, offers several potential health benefits including:
- Blood Sugar Control: Karela is renowned for its ability to help regulate blood sugar levels, making it a valuable vegetable for individuals with diabetes or those at risk of developing diabetes. It contains compounds that may improve insulin sensitivity and reduce blood sugar spikes.
- Weight Management: Due to its low calorie content and high fiber, bitter gourd can aid in weight management. It can help you feel full and reduce overall calorie intake.
- Digestive Health: The dietary fiber in karela can promote healthy digestion and may alleviate constipation.
- Immune System Support: The high vitamin C content in bitter gourd can boost your immune system and help protect against illnesses.
- Skin Benefits: Some people use bitter gourd topically for skin conditions, as it may help with acne and other skin issues.
- Anti-Inflammatory: Bitter gourd has anti-inflammatory properties and may be beneficial for conditions involving inflammation.
- Potential Anti-Cancer Properties: Some studies suggest that compounds in bitter gourd may have anti-cancer properties, although more research is needed in this area.
- Heart Health: The fiber and nutrients in karela may contribute to cardiovascular health by helping to lower cholesterol levels and regulate blood pressure.
BENIFITS OF KARELA CAPSULES :
- Maintains blood sugar level
- Boost immune system
- Help in weight loss
- Great for eyes
- For glowing skin and lustrous hair
- Lowers bad cholesterol levels
- Helps reduce Fever
- Blood purifier
- Excellent source of vitamin B1, B2 and C
- Anti viral property
- Fight acne
DOSAGE– 1-2 capsules twice daily with water after meals