by Dr Vaid Ji on Sep 09, 2023
Hemorrhoids are swollen and enlarged veins around the outside of the anus or in the lower rectum. Hemorrhoids are also called piles. Hemorrhoids are similar to varicose veins. It can develop inside the rectum called internal hemorrhoids. They also can develop under the skin around the anus, called external hemorrhoids. Blood can pool in an external hemorrhoid and form a clot called thrombosed hemorrhoids.
What causes Hemorrhoids?
Hemorrhoids can develop from increased pressure in the lower rectum due to-
- Sitting for long periods of time, especially on the toilet
- Straining during bowel movements
- Having chronic diarrhea or constipation
- Being obese
- Being pregnant
- Having anal intercourse
- Eating a low fiber diet
- Regularly lifting heavy items
Hemorrhoids symptoms usually depend on the type of hemorrhoid-
These hemorrhoids are under the skin around the anus. Symptoms includes-
- Swelling around the anus
- Pain or discomfort
- Itching or irritation in the anal region
Internal hemorrhoids symptoms-
These hemorrhoids lie inside the rectum.
- Painless bleeding during bowel movements, you might notice small amounts of bright red blood in your stool
- A hemorrhoid to push through the anal opening, called a prolapsed or protruding hemorrhoid. This may result in pain and irritation
Thrombosed hemorrhoids symptoms
- Severe pain
- Hard, discolored lump near the anus
Hemorrhoids can be painful and uncomfortable but they don’t tend to cause serious problems. Rarely people with hemorrhoids develop-
- Blood clots
- Skin tags
- Strangulated hemorrhoid
- As people age, the risk of hemorrhoids increases, that is because the tissues that support the veins in the rectum and anus can weaken and stretch, this also can happen during pregnancy because baby’s weight puts pressure on the anal region.
- Eat high fiber foods
- Drink plenty of fluids
- Consider fiber supplements
- Straining and holding your breath when trying to pass stool create greater pressure in the veins in the lower rectum
- Go to the toilet when the urge hits don’t delay bowel movements
- Avoid long periods of sitting, sitting too long specially on the toilet, can increase the pressure on the veins in the anus.
Management of Hemorrhoids According to Ayurveda-
In ayurveda hemorrhoids are classified as a Aarsha. It occurs due to improper eating habits and lifestyle habits, vata, pitta , kapdha get disturbed and causes vitiation of vata, pitta doshas. Vitiated pitta dosha cause accumulation of ama or toxic matter in digestion tract and vata causes obstruction of channels. All this leads to a mass hanging down from the anus.
- Home Remedies and lifestyle habits for Hemorrhoids- Spicy food should be avoided. Caffeine should be avoided
- Avoid constipation, Intake of fiber rich diet is recommended for avoid constipation. Fruits like apple, papaya, peach, melons are good for your gut health.
- Drink a glass of buttermilk with half carom powder with pinch of black salt. Olive oil helps in curing hemorrhoids. Olive oil has anti-inflammatory property that soothes the area and reduces discomfort. Consumption of olive in food on regular basis will improve the bowel habit.
Kshara sutra and Agnikarma for hemorrhoids-
In ayurveda Kshara sutra ligation and agnikarma excision are the procedures which can be used to remove the piles masses thus leading to a permanent cure of the problem .Kshara sutra ligation and Agnikarma are equally beneficial in curing external piles permanently.
Herbs for hemorrhoids-
Yoga asana for hemorrhoids-
PILES RELIEF KIT-
It is herbo mineral and purely Ayurvedic formulation .Arsh care tablets are 100% natural & safe containing 650mg extracts of Reetha Chhilka purified in Cow’s milk. The herb used for formulation of these tablets show antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, laxative properties. It makes your stool soft and helps prevent constipation. It is effective against bleeding piles and reduce the pain while defecation. The main uses of arsh care tablet is in Bleeding piles, prevent constipation, act as laxative, Fissures, Fistula.
DOSAGE: Take 2 tablets twice daily.
2. Triphala Guggulu Tablet
Triphala Guggulu Tablet has been used in ayurvedic medicine since ages. It is thought to support bowel health and aid digestion. As an antioxidant, it is used to detoxify the body and support the immune system. It is known for its antibacterial, antioxidant, antiviral abilities. It is prescribed for a wide range of ailments like promoting oral health, treating fatigue and gastric distress, pneumonia, constipation, vaginal infections and most importantly boost the immune system.
DOSAGE: Take 2 tablets twice daily.
3. Panchsakar Churna
This is an ayurvedic remedy that is prepared from ingredients like Shunti, Haritaki, Pippali, Trivrit, and Sauvarchala lavana. It mainly acts as a Vatakaphahara. Regular use of this churna gives effective result in loss of appetite, bloating related to piles patient. It also helps in relieving the abdominal pain and constipation very easily.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 teaspoonful daily with warm water at bedtime.
4. Triphala Syrup
As the name suggests Triphala means (Haritaki, Bibhitaki, and Amalaki) herbs are used for syrup formation. Each fruit is thought to positively impact on the body’s three doshas. This is amazing syrup that cleans your bowel naturally and give relieve from chronic constipation related to the piles patient. It also helps in healing the inflammation of fistula- in – ano.
Recommended Dosage: Take 2 teaspoonful of this syrup twice a daily with normal water.