Home Remedies for Brittle Nails
by Dr Vaid Ji on Sep 30, 2023
Brittle nails are more prone to damage such as splitting or peeling, this condition is called onychoschizia . Nails get brittle as a person gets older it is a typical part of aging. There are several health conditions that can damage and weaken your nails. It affect up to 20 percent of the population, they are common among women and people over 50 years old.
Causes of brittle nails –
In some cases nails naturally become more brittle as we age. Other causes of brittle nails include-
- Damage from detergents and other cleaning products
- Frequent hand washing can protect you from illness but it does a number on your nails, which lose water faster than skin does.
- Exposure to too much or too little moisture
- Nutritional deficiencies such as iron deficiency anemia and low zinc
- Raynaud’s syndrome causes a lack of blood flow to the fingers and toes
- Thyroid disorders, including hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism
- Skin conditions such as psoriasis and eczema
- Using certain cosmetic products such as gel nails and nail polish remover
- Fungal infections
- Autoimmune and inflammatory disorders such as alopecia
- Direct trauma to the nails
Tips for treating brittle nails-
- Don’t bite your nails
- Limit use of nail polish
- Coat and condition them
- Moisturize your hands after washing
- Keep your nails short to minimize nail surface area where water and chemicals can be absorbed
- Don’t bite or pick your nails or cuticles
Home remedies for brittle nails-
- Massage with coconut oil-Take a few drops of coconut oil and warm it a little, apply on your nails and gently massage it. It makes your nails stronger and it will also improve your blood circulation while keeping your nails moisture.
- Olive oil and lemon juice mixture-
- Take a few drops of olive oil and few drops of lemon juice. Now take small amount of this mixture and apply it on your nails and massage it. Do this at least twice a week for better results.
- Healthy diet-Your diet and lifestyle has a lot to do with how strong or brittle your nails are. Healthy and balanced diet which contains vitamins A, C,D,E as well as many B vitamins and folic acid, iron, zinc, calcium can reduce your risk of brittle nails.
- Drinking enough water is essential for your health and nail health is no exception, without adequate moisture your nails can become brittle. Drinking enough water helps them to retain moisture and stay strong.
- Tomato juice rich in antioxidants and protein, tomato juice can heal brittle nails and strengthen texture. Add 2 drops of rosemary oil to 2 tablespoon of tomato juice dip your nails in this solution for 10 minutes and then wash your nails with water.
CHANDIGARH AYURVED CENTRE’S MEDICATIONS FOR BRITTLE NAILS-
1) Detox Premium Powder:
Detox premium powder is a herbo-mineral preparation that contains parwal pishti, giloy satv, shukta pishti, tal sindoor, gandhak rasayan, moti pishti, etc. These ingredients in combination deal with the azoospermia condition & remove toxins out from the body. It will deal with the painful urination, pelvic pain, muscle loss, enlarged breasts, etc.
Recommended dosage: Take 1 sachet twice daily with normal water.
2) Triphala Syrup:
Triphala syrup is a pure herbal formula that contains ingredients such as Amalaki (Emblica officinalis), Haritaki (Terminalia chebula), & Bibhitaki (Terminalia bellirica). These ingredients in combination show antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, analgesic, & immuno-modulator properties. It is beneficial for dealing with the signs & symptoms related to azoospermia patients.
Recommended dosage: Take 2 teaspoonful twice daily.
4) Nerve up tablet:
These tablets are pure ayurvedic formulation. Nerve up tablets he1lp in balancing the vata doshas and kapha dosha. It acts as nervine stimulant. It shows effective results in improving the central nervous system. It contains natural ingredients like shudha kuchala, shudha shilajeet, praval pishti, shankh bhasma etc. This tablet also helps in Azoospermia.
Recommended Dosage– Take 1 tablet twice daily
5) Active plus Tablet:
CAC active plus Tablet is a pure herbo-mineral formulation prepared from best quality of herbs. This tablet is best for person mental and physical health also helps to boost up the immunity. The herbal ingredients present in these tablets are used to maintain person’s health and refreshes the mind and body. These tablets improves digestion, eliminates constipation, stress, nourishes brain, acts as antioxidant, analgesic, anti-inflammatory, etc.
Recommended Dosage – Take 1 tablet twice daily.
6) Shilajit satva:
This is the Ayurvedic formulation of Shilajit satav. It is a potent Immunity Booster and acts as an antioxidant, possesses anti-inflammatory properties. It has a tremendous effect on Male Infertility, Anemia, Alzheimer disease, improves brain functions, Fatigue, various Tumors and Cysts like PCOD in females. Due to its anti-inflammatory properties it works on inflamed lymph nodes as well. It balances blood sugar, increases absorption of nutrients, helps in detoxification.
Recommended Dosage – 5 to 10 drops of Shilajit to be mixed in one glass of Luke warm milk.
7) Rasayan Vati:
Rasayan vati is herbo-mineral ayurvedic formulation, which is 100% natural. Rasayan vati contains various herbs such as Aswagandha, Shilajeet, Amla, Kesar, Musali, Shatavar, Brahmi , Swarn Makshik Bhasam, Yashad Bhasam, Mukta pisti, Praval pisti, Jaiphal, Vang Bhasam, Dalchini, Javitri, Gokhru, Kaunch Beej, Saunth, Mirch, Pipli, Amla, Kesar, Manjith, Anant Mool, Brahmi, Musali, Swarn Vang, etc. These ingredients show antioxidant, aphrodisiac, anti-inflammatory, antipyretic, analgesic, immuno-modulator properties. These tablets provide good results in General debility, Psychological disorders, and improves immunity.
Recommended Dosage – Take 1 tablet twice daily.