by Dr Vaid Ji on Oct 18, 2023
Sinusitis is a common medical condition that affects millions of people worldwide. It refers to the inflammation or infection of the sinus cavities, which are air-filled spaces within the skull. Sinusitis can cause a range of uncomfortable symptoms, and while conventional medicine provides effective treatments, Ayurveda offers holistic and natural approaches to manage and prevent this condition.
CAUSES OF SINUSITIS:
Sinusitis can be caused by a variety of factors, including:
- Infections: Viral, bacterial, or fungal infections can lead to sinusitis. The common cold and respiratory infections are often responsible for viral sinusitis, while bacterial sinusitis can result from untreated or severe colds.
- Allergies: Allergic reactions to airborne particles, such as pollen, dust mites, and pet dander, can trigger allergic sinusitis, also known as allergic rhinitis.
- Structural Abnormalities: Deviated septum or nasal polyps can obstruct the sinus passages, leading to chronic sinusitis.
- Environmental Irritants: Exposure to pollutants, cigarette smoke, or other environmental irritants can contribute to sinus inflammation.
- Immune System Deficiencies: A weakened immune system can make an individual more susceptible to sinus infections.
SYMPTOMS OF SINUSITIS:
The symptoms of sinusitis can vary in intensity and duration. Common signs and symptoms include:
- Nasal Congestion: Difficulty breathing through the nose due to inflammation and mucus buildup in the sinus passages.
- Facial Pain and Pressure: Pain and pressure in the forehead, cheeks, and around the eyes.
- Runny or Stuffy Nose: Discharge from the nose that can be clear, yellow, or green.
- Cough: A persistent cough, often worse at night.
- Headache: Sinus headaches, typically felt in the forehead or around the eyes.
- Sore Throat: Postnasal drip can lead to a sore throat.
- Reduced Sense of Smell and Taste: Inflammation can affect these senses.
- Fatigue: Chronic sinusitis can cause tiredness and reduced energy levels.
- Fever: In cases of bacterial sinusitis, a fever may develop.
- Bad Breath: Foul-smelling breath can result from infected mucus.
RISK FACTORS FOR SINUSITIS:
Several risk factors can make individuals more prone to sinusitis:
- Respiratory Infections: Frequent colds or respiratory infections can increase the risk of sinusitis.
- Allergies: Allergic rhinitis can trigger sinusitis in susceptible individuals.
- Environmental Exposures: Regular exposure to pollutants or cigarette smoke can irritate the sinus passages.
- Structural Issues: Deviated septum, nasal polyps, or other structural problems can obstruct the sinuses.
- Weakened Immune System: Conditions that weaken the immune system, such as HIV or immunosuppressive medications, increase susceptibility to sinusitis.
AYURVEDIC MANAGEMENT OF SINUSITIS
Ayurveda, a traditional system of medicine originating in India, offers holistic approaches to manage sinusitis. Here are some Ayurvedic recommendations:
- Diet and Lifestyle: Ayurveda emphasizes the importance of a balanced diet and a healthy lifestyle. Consuming warm, nourishing foods, staying hydrated, and getting regular exercise can help prevent sinusitis.
- Nasal Cleansing: Jala Neti, a nasal irrigation technique using saline water, is a popular Ayurvedic practice for maintaining clear nasal passages and reducing the risk of sinusitis.
- Herbal Remedies: Ayurveda recommends the use of herbs such as Tulsi (holy basil), ginger, black pepper, and licorice to alleviate symptoms and boost immunity.
- Steam Inhalation: Inhaling steam with a few drops of eucalyptus or camphor oil can provide relief from nasal congestion and headache.
- Yoga and Pranayama: Regular practice of yoga and pranayama (breathing exercises) can enhance lung function and reduce the risk of respiratory conditions, including sinusitis.
- Panchakarma: Ayurvedic detoxification procedures, like Nasya (nasal administration of herbal oils), can help in clearing the sinus passages and alleviating symptoms.
- Ayurvedic Consultation: Seek guidance from an experienced Ayurvedic practitioner for personalized treatment and herbal recommendations based on your unique constitution.
- Stress Management: Stress can weaken the immune system. Ayurveda emphasizes stress reduction techniques like meditation and mindfulness.
In conclusion, sinusitis can be a discomforting condition, but Ayurveda offers holistic and natural approaches to manage and prevent it.
Chandigarh Ayurved Centre provides you the best natural treatment for Sinusitis, which cure this condition in a natural way without causing any side effects. We provided ‘Sinusitis Care Kit’ that contains all the natural herbs including the following products – cough care powder, kas shwas hari rasa, cough go tablets, Broncho Care Syrup, Anu Tailam and Trikatu tablets
ALL PRODUCTS DESCRIPTION IN DETAIL:
- Kapha Powder
This is a mixture of pure herbs & minerals which contains – Sitopladi churna, Godanti bhasma, Laxmi vilas rasa, etc. The powder is beneficial in a variety of diseases relating to respiratory disease, digestive system, immune system, etc. It can work in the management of cough, chronic fever, sore throat, tonsillitis, etc.
Recommended Dosage – Take 1 Sachet twice daily with normal water.
- Kas Shwas Hari Rasa
Kas Shwas Hari rasa is an excellent remedy for upper respiratory related problems. It balances Kapha and reduces Vata Dosha. The tablets contain – Shwas kasa chintamani rasa, Sutshekhar rasa, Laxmivilas nardiya rasa, Talisadi churna processed in Bhawana Vasa Kwath. It is traditionally administrated in problems like recurring cough, migraine, asthma, sinusitis, etc.
Recommended Dosage – Take 1 tablet twice daily with normal water.
- Cough go tablets:
Cough Go tablets help in balancing the kapha dosha. It shows effective results in Chronic Cough,common cold, and all respiratory diseasesalong with Seasonal Allergy, Bronchitis, Bronchial Asthma. It contains pure herbal ingredients like Sonth (Zingiber officinale), Mulethi (Glycyrrhiza glabra), Pippali (Piper longum), Kali mirch (Piper nigrum), Laxmi vilas rasa, Tankan bhasam etc. These ingredients contain natural Kapha doshahar properties and help in curing all respiratory diseases and diseases related to Kapha dosha, Antioxidant, Anti-inflammatory, Bronchodilator, Immuno-modulator, Expectorant properties.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 tablet twice daily with normal water.
- Broncho care syrup:
Broncho Caresyrup is herbo mineral and purely ayurvedic formulation. It act on Vata and Kapha dosha from which it mainly reduces Kapha. It means it reduces phelgm production in the lungs and balances sections in the body. It exerts mucolytic and expectorant action on the respiratory system. It increases digestive firewhich help improve appetite. It also help in chronic bronchitis and asthma symptoms. Broncho care is antioxidant, anti inflammatory, immuno modulator and a good detoxifier.
Recommended Dosage – Take 2 teaspoonfuls twice daily.
- Anu Tailam
Anu tailam is the wonderful Ayurvedic nasal oil that is a very effective remedy for allergies, sinusitis, headache, etc. This herbal oil has both the lubricating and cooling effect. It cleanses and moistens the mucous membranes, kills bacteria and fungi, thin mucus and stimulates its flow, shrinks swelling in the mucous membrane of the sinus. Anu tailam is very refreshing and can be used for mental fatigue also. The base oil of Anu Tailam is Sesame oil and other ingredients like– Yashtimadhu (Glycyrrhiza glabra), Tulsi (Ocimum sanctum), Brihati (Solanum indicum), Chandan (Santalum album), Mustaka (Cyperus rotundus), etc. It possesses anti-bacterial properties and eliminates the excess mucus from the nasal cavity and balances adequate secretion of mucus.
Recommended Dosage – Put 2-3 drops of Anu tailam in each nostril.
- Trikatu tablets:
Trikatu Tablet helps to eliminate excess Kapha or mucous from the body, supports respiratory system, manages weight, helps to take out impurities or ama from the body, supports healthy detoxification, reduces swelling. This tablet is made up of equal parts of three herbs such as Pippali (Piper longum), Shunthi (Zingiber officinale), & Marich (Piper nigrum) that maintains the metabolism in the body. The regular use of this tablet balances the thyroxin hormone and treats hyperthyroidism naturally. It is an Appetizer and it improves digestion, supports normal gastric function, and normal circulation, Flatulence, Loss of appetite, Abdominal bloating, Abdominal distension, Indigestion, Hyperthyroidism, Belching, Tinnitus, Boosts metabolism, Weight management.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 tablet twice daily with normal water.