by Dr Vaid Ji on Oct 30, 2023
In Ayurveda, Chandan, also known as Sandalwood, is highly regarded for its medicinal and therapeutic properties. Chandan is considered a cooling and soothing herb, and it has been used for various purposes in Ayurvedic medicine.
PROPERTIES OF CHANDAN-
Sandalwood, or Chandan, is known for its unique properties, making it a valuable substance in Ayurveda and other traditional medicinal systems. Here are some of the key properties and characteristics associated with Chandan
- Cooling (Sheetala)
- Soothing (Shita)
- Fragrance (Gandha)
- Anti-Inflammatory (Shothahara)
- Antibacterial and Antifungal (Krimighna)
- Astringent (Kashaya)
- Mental Clarity (Medhya)
- Digestive Aid (Deepana and Pachana)
BENEFITS OF CHANDAN-
Here are some of its Ayurvedic uses and properties:
- Cooling Property: Chandan is primarily known for its cooling nature. It is often used to pacify and balance the Pitta dosha, which is associated with heat and inflammation. This cooling property makes it valuable in the treatment of conditions with heat-related symptoms.
- Soothing and Anti-Inflammatory: Chandan has anti-inflammatory properties and is used to alleviate various skin conditions, irritations, and inflammatory issues. It can be applied topically as a paste to soothe skin irritations.
- Fragrance: The pleasant and natural fragrance of Chandan is used in aromatherapy and incense for relaxation and meditation. It is believed to have a calming effect on the mind and is used in various Ayurvedic rituals.
- Antibacterial and Antifungal: Sandalwood oil and paste are used for their antibacterial and antifungal properties. They can help in the management of skin infections and minor wounds.
- Ayurvedic Cosmetics: Chandan is a common ingredient in Ayurvedic skincare and cosmetics. It is believed to improve skin complexion, reduce blemishes, and promote a healthy glow. Chandan-based face packs are popular in Ayurvedic beauty treatments.
- Mental Clarity: In Ayurveda, Chandan is associated with enhancing mental clarity and concentration. It is used in traditional Ayurvedic preparations for cognitive support.
- Digestive Health: Chandan is sometimes included in Ayurvedic herbal formulations to support digestive health and manage gastrointestinal discomfort, particularly when it is associated with excessive heat.
- Skin care- chandan is highly regarded for its benefits. It can:
- Soothe and calm irritated skin.
- Reduce inflammation and redness, making it helpful for conditions like acne and eczema.
- Minimize the appearance of scars and blemishes.
- Promote a healthy and radiant complexion