by Dr Vaid Ji on Oct 31, 2023
ABOUT THE HERB :
- Cinnamon (Dalchini) is a dried bark of a small tree (Cinnamomum Zeylanicum) growing mainly in western/southern parts of India. It is one of the oldest and important spices available in Indian kitchens as part of ‘Garam Masala’. It is characterized by special flavor and aroma due to its essential oils. It is available in market in dried and rolled sticks. Its leaves are commonly called as ‘Tejpatra’.
- Dalchini has been described as ‘Tvak’ in Ayurveda and used in various ailments like flu, indigestion, edema and cough etc. As per Ayurveda, its taste is pungent, sweet and hot in nature. It is light, rough, penetrating and often recommended for people with the Kaphavata constitution.
- It is enriched with many vital oils and derivatives such as cinnamaldehyde, cinnamic acid, cinnamate.
MEDICINAL PROPERTIES OF DALCHINI :
RASA : katu, tikta, madhura
GUNA :laghu, rooksha, tikshna
VIPAKA : katu
EFFECT ON TRIDOSHA : balances vata & kapha. Increases pitta.
PROPERTIES OF DALCHINI :
- Aromatic: Dalchini is known for its pleasing and aromatic fragrance, which enhances the flavor of dishes it's used in.
- Flavorful: It adds a warm, sweet, and slightly spicy flavor to foods and beverages.
- Antioxidant: Dalchini is rich in antioxidants, which help combat oxidative stress and reduce cell damage.
- Anti-Inflammatory: It has anti-inflammatory properties that is beneficial for reducing inflammation in the body.
- Anti-Microbial: Dalchini's compounds have antimicrobial properties, which help inhibit the growth of bacteria and fungi.
- Neuroprotective: Some research suggests that it have neuroprotective effects, potentially aiding in cognitive function.
- Traditional Medicine: It has been used in traditional medicine for various health purposes, such as managing respiratory issues and menstrual discomfort.
BENIFITS OF DALCHINI :
Dalchini (Cinnamomum cassia) offers several potential health benefits:
- Blood Sugar Control: It help improve insulin sensitivity and lower blood sugar levels, making it beneficial for individuals with diabetes or those at risk of high blood sugar.
- Antioxidant Properties: Dalchini is rich in antioxidants, which help combat oxidative stress and reduce the risk of chronic diseases.
- Anti-Inflammatory: It has anti-inflammatory properties that assist in reducing inflammation in the body, potentially benefiting conditions like arthritis.
- Heart Health: Consuming dalchini help lower LDL (bad) cholesterol and triglyceride levels, promoting cardiovascular health.
- Digestive Aid: It ease digestive discomfort and help with issues like bloating and indigestion.
- Antimicrobial Effects: Dalchini has compounds with antimicrobial properties, which inhibit the growth of bacteria and fungi, potentially aiding in oral hygiene.
- Weight Management: Some studies suggest that it help with weight management by reducing appetite and supporting healthy metabolism.
- Dental caries : it helps removing foul smell and strengthens teeth.
- Nausea & vomiting
- Skin infections/cuts/wounds : it is a good germicidal, it helps in curing cuts & wounds.
- It is a natural remedy for rheumatoid arthritis.
- It provides relief in menstrual pain.
- It is also used as an expectorant and have anti-tubercular properties.