by Dr Vaid Ji on Oct 31, 2023
Obesity is a medical condition characterized by the excessive accumulation of body fat, which can lead to adverse effects on health. It is often determined by an individual's body mass index (BMI), with a BMI of 30 or higher considered obese.
Causes of Obesity:
Obesity is a complex condition with multiple causes, including:
- Diet: Excessive consumption of calorie-dense foods, high in sugar and fat, can contribute to weight gain.
- Lack of Physical Activity: A sedentary lifestyle, with limited physical activity, can lead to weight gain and obesity.
- Genetics: Genetic factors can influence an individual's propensity to gain weight and develop obesity.
- Environmental Factors: The obesogenic environment, characterized by easy access to unhealthy foods and limited opportunities for physical activity, can contribute to obesity.
- Psychological Factors: Emotional and psychological factors, such as stress and depression, may lead to overeating and weight gain.
- Medical Conditions: Some medical conditions, such as hypothyroidism, polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), and certain medications, can contribute to obesity.
Signs and Symptoms of Obesity:
Obesity can manifest with various signs and symptoms, including:
- Increased Body Weight: The most obvious sign of obesity is an excessive increase in body weight.
- High BMI: A BMI of 30 or higher is indicative of obesity.
- Excess Body Fat: Obesity is characterized by an excessive accumulation of body fat, typically around the abdomen, hips, and thighs.
- Breathlessness: Obese individuals may experience breathlessness, especially during physical activities.
- Joint Pain: The added weight can put strain on the joints, leading to joint pain, particularly in the knees and hips.
- Fatigue: Obesity can result in fatigue and reduced energy levels.
- Insulin Resistance: Obesity is associated with an increased risk of insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes.
- Cardiovascular Issues: It is a significant risk factor for cardiovascular diseases, including hypertension, heart disease, and stroke.
- Respiratory Problems: Obesity can contribute to respiratory issues like sleep apnea and reduced lung capacity.
- Psychological Effects: Obesity can lead to low self-esteem, depression, and social stigma, affecting an individual's mental and emotional well-being.
- Metabolic Changes: It may cause metabolic changes, including elevated cholesterol levels and triglycerides.
- Cardiovascular issues – it is a significant risk factor for cardiovascular diseases including hypertension heart disease and stroke obesity can lead to low self-esteem depression and social stigma affecting an individual’s mental and emotional wellbeing, it causes metabolic changes included elevated cholesterol levels and triglycerides include elevated
AYURVEDIC MANAGEMENT OF OBESITY ACCORDING TO AYURVED-
In Ayurveda, obesity is referred to as "Medoroga" or "Sthaulya." Ayurveda is the traditional system of medicine from India, and it views obesity as an imbalance in the body's doshas, primarily involving an accumulation of Kapha dosha, which is associated with qualities like heaviness, coldness, and unctuousness.
Ayurveda, the traditional system of medicine from India, offers a holistic approach to the management of obesity. The Ayurvedic approach focuses on balancing the body, mind, and spirit to achieve and maintain a healthy weight. Here are some Ayurvedic principles and practices for managing obesity:Dietary Guidelines:
- Balanced Diet: Consume a balanced and wholesome diet that includes all six tastes (sweet, sour, salty, pungent, bitter, and astringent) in each meal to satisfy the palate and nourish the body.
- Favoring Warm Foods: Warm, freshly prepared foods are often recommended over cold or processed foods.
- Portion Control: Be mindful of portion sizes to prevent overeating.
- Timing: Eat regular, timely meals and avoid frequent snacking.
Ayurvedic herbs and formulations may be recommended by a qualified Ayurvedic practitioner to support metabolism, digestion, and weight management. Some commonly used herbs include
- Triphala- triphala is a well-known ayurvedic herbal formulation consisting of three fruits. Amalaki, bibhitaki and haritaki, it used to support digestion, detoxify the body and regulate metabolism.
- Guggul- promotes fat metabolism and regulating cholesterol levels.
- Amla- it is rich in vitamin C and antioxidants, it supports digestion and helps in the elimination of toxins.
- Vidanga- it is known for its digestive properties and may help in reducing excess fat.
- Shilajit- it is a mineral rich substance that is believed to enhance metabolism increase energy levels and improve overall vitality.
- Guduchi- it is known for its immune boosting properties and can support weight management by enhancing metabolism and digestion.
- Punarnava- it is a diuretic herb that helps eliminate excess water and reduces water retention which is often associated with obesity.
- Regular Exercise: Engage in regular physical activity that suits your body type and energy levels. Practices like yoga, walking, and swimming can be beneficial.
- Surya namaskar
- Setu bandha sarvangasana
- Veeer bhadrasana
- Stress Management: Reducing stress through relaxation techniques like meditation, deep breathing, and yoga can help prevent emotional eating.
- Adequate Sleep: Aim for 7-8 hours of quality sleep each night, as insufficient sleep can lead to weight gain.
- Daily Routine (Dinacharya): Follow a daily routine that aligns with your body's natural rhythms, including meal times, exercise, and rest.
- Body Type Analysis: Ayurveda categorizes individuals into different body types, or doshas (Vata, Pitta, Kapha). Understanding your dominant dosha can help tailor dietary and lifestyle recommendations to your specific constitution.
- Detoxification (Panchakarma): Ayurvedic detoxification therapies, such as Panchakarma, may be recommended to cleanse the body of toxins and support weight loss.
- Hot Water or Herbal Teas: Drinking warm water or herbal teas, such as ginger tea, throughout the day can aid digestion and metabolism.
MANAGEMENT OF OBESITY
ACCORDING TO CHANDIGARH AYURVED CENTRE-
ALL PRODUCTS DESCRIPTION IN DETAIL:
1) Panchsakar Churna:
Panchsakar Churna is a classical herbal churna containing ingredients like pippali, haritaki, shunthi, trivrit, & sauvarchala lavana. These ingredients in combination remove all toxins out from the body & naturally detoxify. It cuts down extra fats & removes out. This herbal churna maintains the metabolism in the body.
Recommended dosage: Take 1 teaspoonful at bedtime with lukewarm water.
2) Trikatu tablet:
Trikatu tablets are pure ayurvedic preparation containing shunthi, maricha, & pippali in it. These herbal tablets deal with bloating, loss of appetite, constipation, reduces fats; maintain the overall metabolism of the body. The regular use of these tablets removes toxins from the body.
Recommended dosage: Take 1 tablet twice daily with normal water.
3) Gokshura Capsule:
These are herbal capsules prepared from the standardized extract of herb Gokshura (Tribulus terrestris). Gokshura capsules show anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-obesity, & diuretic properties. These properties are beneficial in removing imbalanced kapha dosha out from the body in urine form. All the toxins accumulated in the body are removed through the urine.
Recommended dosage: Take 1 capsule twice daily with normal water.
4) Right Shape Kada:
Right Shape Kada is a natural & herbal formula that provides maximum strength for burning fats, promotes a healthy metabolism, & controls appetite. This herbal kada is prepared from herbal ingredients such as saunf, amla, harad, baheda, ajwain, dalchini, haldi, bodhi tree leaves, green leaves herb that naturally cuts down extra fats.
Recommended dosage: Take 15ml after every meal.
5) Right Shape Tablet:
The right shape of CAC is an effective herbal supplement for natural weight loss. The herbs help to burn fats from the adipose tissue and also help in cellulite. IRREGULAR diet habits, excessive eating without any exercise leads to indigestion and further obesity
Recommended dosage: Take 1 tablet twice daily with normal water.
The regular use of the above ayurvedic products will surely give better results to obese people.