by Dr Vaid Ji on Oct 25, 2023
- It is a brain disease that often begins with memory problems. Later it starts affecting other parts of the brain, resulting in the following types of problems-
- Difficulty with everyday tasks
- Difficulty communicating
- Changes in mood, decision making, or personality
the disease usually progresses with time. As the disease progresses, you become more dependent on other people. This problem is more common in older people. However, it can also start at the age of 40. By the age of 65, one in every twenty people and by the age of 80 one in five may develop dementia.
- Alzheimer's disease is the main reason for this. Damaged tissue accumulates in the brain as plasma or tangles, causing the cells around the brain to die.
- Alzheimer's affects brain chemicals, especially acetylcholine, etc. These chemicals carry messages from one cell to another. The disease develops slowly and shows its full effect over a few years. The disease is genetic in some families and is more common in people with Down syndrome.
- Alzheimer's disease causes problems with memory and thinking. As a result, there is difficulty in remembering or learning new information. The victim has trouble remembering recent events, planned visits, and phone messages.
- The victim has difficulty remembering people's names and places and often forgets them. Even such persons find it difficult to communicate and understand others. Often, they cannot find the right words for a person or thing that they know very well. Because of this, they become very disappointed and depressed. They accuse other people of taking things, whereas in reality these people have lost those goods somewhere due to their amnesia.
OTHER CAUSES OF DEMENTIA:-
Many other diseases can cause memory problems. Depression can lead to a dementia-like condition that can get better with antidepressants and talking.
Memory problems can arise in the following physical diseases-
- kidney, liver or thyroid problems
- Vitamin deficiency
- Confusion can occur due to chest and urinary tract infections. Which can be improved with the help of antibiotics.
- In this disease, the arteries carrying blood to the brain get blocked, as a result some part of the brain dies due to lack of oxygen. This process is also called "micro stroke" (small stroke). The risk of getting this disease is higher in people who smoke or have high blood pressure, diabetes or high cholesterol related complaints. Estimating the speed of this disease is a difficult task. It may remain stable for several months or even years, and the disease rapidly becomes severe whenever new blood vessel-borne vascular strokes occur.
- The symptoms of this disease also depend on which part of the brain is affected by the disease. On this basis, there may also be problems with weak memory (memory loss), lack of attention, and problems with proper word usage, emotional instability or sadness. Some people may also have hallucinations (seeing or hearing something that is not in reality). Physical symptoms such as trouble walking or involuntary urination may also occur.
- Symptoms of people with Lewy body dementia are similar to those of Alzheimer's and Parkinson's disease. These patients have more visual hallucinations related to individuals or animals and the level of confusion may decrease or increase throughout the day. People suffering from this disease may feel tremors, muscle stiffness, difficulty in falling or walking.
- If dementia affects the forebrain more than other parts of the brain, then the person's personality changes significantly and this can lead to memory problems.
Signs and symptoms of dementia result when once-healthy neurons, or nerve cells, within the brain stop working, lose connections with other brain cells, and die. While everyone loses some neurons as they age, people with dementia experience far greater loss.
The symptoms of dementia include:
- Experiencing blackout, poor judgment, and confusion
- Difficulty speaking, understanding and expressing thoughts, or reading and writing
- Wandering and getting lost during a familiar neighborhood
- Trouble handling money responsibly and paying bills
- Repeating questions
- Using unusual words to check with familiar objects
- Taking longer to complete normal daily tasks
- Losing interest in normal daily activities or events
- Hallucinating or experiencing delusions or paranoia
- Acting impulsively
- Not caring about other people’s feelings
- Losing balance and problems with movement.
AYURVEDIC MANAGEMENT OF DEMENTIA
Panchkarma procedures :
- PRATIMARSHA NASYA
AYURVEDIC HERBS USED :
CAC TREATMENT FOR DEMENTIA
DEMENTIA GO KIT
- Brodley Syrup:
This syrup maintains the overall activity of the brain. As the herbs used for the preparation of this syrup are Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri), Shankhpushpi (Convolvulus pluricaulis), Dhania (Coriandrum sativum), Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), Saunf (Foeniculum vulgare), etc. These all acts as a mind relaxant. The use of this syrup provides good results to the dementia patient. This syrup has the best memory boosting power and helps in increasing the blood flow to the brain. It is used as an antioxidant that increases retention power
Recommended Dosage: Take 2 teaspoonful twice daily.
- Mann Mitra tablet:
Mann Mitra tablet is herbal and purely ayurvedic medicine. It is used in Ayurvedic treatment for psychiatric conditions and help to balance all the three doshas of body i.e vata, pitta, kapha. CAC Mann Mitra tablet improves intelligence and speech problems. It is helpful for making the nervous system strong and nerves as well. It contains various herbs like Bala, Vacha, Shankhpushpi, Nagkeshar etc that help you fight insomnia, anxiety, and stress.
Recommended Dosage : Take 1 tablet twice daily.
- Calm Sleep tablet:
CAC calm sleep tablet is an amazing combination of natural herbs like bhang, Brahmi, Tagar, jatamansi. It helps to relieve stressful conditions. They help to pacify the nervous system and also helps to calm minds and make your body relax and light.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 tablet twice daily.
- Rasayan Vati:
Rasayan vati is herbo-mineral Ayurvedic formulation which contains various herbs such as Aswagandha, Shilajeet, Amla, Musali, Shatavar, Brahmi, Mukta pisti, Praval pisti, , Kaunch Beej, Saunth, Mirch, Brahmi, etc. These ingredients show antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, antipyretic, analgesic, immune-modulator properties. These tablets provides good results in General debility, Psychological disorders, and improves immunity.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 tablet twice daily.
- Detox Premium Powder:
This formulation act at the level of the nervous system and facilitate proper conduction of signal impulse from the nerves to the muscles. The powder contains – Moti pishti, Parwal pishti, Shukta pishti, Giloy satva, Kamdudha ras, Jahar mohra, Akik pishti, Gandhak rasayan, etc. These ingredients balance all the Tridosha (Vata, Pitta, Kapha). It provides relief in psychosis, helps in mental weakness like short temper, decreased the ability to think, improves the memory power, and reduces the calcium level that hampers the brain functions.
Recommended Dosage : Take 1 sachet twice a day with normal water.