by Dr Vaid Ji on Oct 16, 2023
- Depression is a mood disorder that causes one to feel sad or hopeless for an extended period of time.
- Depression can have an impact on one’s enjoyment of life, work, health and the people you care about.
WHAT CAUSES DEPRESSION ?
Several factors that are responsible for depression are mentioned below :
- An altered balance of neurotransmitters.
- Some medical conditions like diabetes
- Medications – use of certain medications can lead to depression as their side effects.
- Stressful events like difficult experiences such as death of a loved one, trauma, divorce, isolation and lack of support can trigger depression.
WHAT IS THE IMPACT OF DEPRESSION ?
- Depressed mood.
- Variation of mood during the day, it’s often worse in the morning and improving later in the day.
- Inability to enjoy activities.
- Changes in eating habits or appetite.
- Weight gain or weight loss.
- Changes in sleeping habits.
- Slowed thoughts, speech and movement.
- Feelings of guilt and hopelessness, wondering if life is worth living or not.
- Somatic complaints such as headache and stomachache.
- Preoccupation with thoughts of death or suicide.
- Disturbed sleep, usually waking early and being unable to get back to sleep.
- Feeling of anxiety.
- Tearfulness for no reason.
- Short temper
- Lack of energy and constant exhaustion
- Lack of concentration.
- Difficulty making decisions.
- Negative thoughts about the future.
- Loss of identity.
- Blaming self and low self esteem.
- Unrealistic sense of failure.
- Loneliness, even when around others.
AS PER AYURVEDA DEPRESSION CAN BE CLASSIFIED AS FOLLOWING :
- PITTA TYPE DEPRESSION – symptoms of this pitta type depression incorporates :
- Excessive criticism
- Accusing others or accusing themselves
- A sense of failure
- Anger, outrage and aggression
- Suicidal thoughts
- VATA TYPE DEPRESSION – symptoms that include vata type of depression includes :
- Crying easily
- Unpredictable mood swings
- Reduced libido
- Fear and anxiety
- Excessive talking
- KAPHA TYPE DEPRESSION – some symptoms of this condition include :
- Feeling dull, down or sluggish
- Overeating to compensate for difficult feelings
- General apathy
- Staying in bed all day
- Weight gain
- Negative thought patterns
- Takradhara, shirodhara with medicated oils, Shiro abhyanga (head massage) with medicated oils etc.
- Dhyana, pranayama, asana, yogic exercises.
- Kushmanda lehyam
- Brahmi ghrita
- Kalyana ghrita
- Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera)
- Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus)
- Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri)
- Vacha (Acorus calamus)
- Jatamansi (Nordostachys jatamansi)
- Tagara (Valeriana wallichi)
- Chandan (Santalum album)
- Yashtimadhu (Glycyrrhiza glabra)
- Tulsi (Ocimum sanctum)
SPECIFIC DO’s and DON’ts :
- Amalaki (Emblica officinalis), dadima (pomegranate)
- Light meals especially dinner
- Foods like whole grams, seasonal fruits etc.
- Fresh vegetables
- Dhyana (Meditation)
- Non-vegetarian diet
- Frequent eating and intake of high calorie food.
- Excessive thinking.
- Canned/tinned food.
CAC MANAGEMENT OF DEPRESSION
DEPRESSION GO KIT
1. Brodley Syrup:
This syrup maintains the overall activity of the brain. As the herbs used for the preparation of this syrup are Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri), Shankhpushpi (Convolvulus pluricaulis), Dhania (Coriandrum sativum), Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), Saunf (Foeniculum vulgare), etc. These all acts as a mind relaxant. The use of this syrup provides good results to the dementia patient. This syrup has the best memory boosting power and helps in increasing the blood flow to the brain. It is used as an antioxidant that increases retention power
Recommended Dosage: Take 2 teaspoonful twice daily.
- Mann Mitra tablet:
Mann Mitra tablet is herbal and purely ayurvedic medicine. It is used in Ayurvedic treatment for psychiatric conditions and help to balance all the three doshas of body i.e vata, pitta, kapha. CAC Mann Mitra tablet improves intelligence and speech problems. It is helpful for making the nervous system strong and nerves as well. It contains various herbs like Bala, Vacha, Shankhpushpi, Nagkeshar etc that help you fight insomnia, anxiety, and stress. It works as a antioxidant, anti depressant, immuno booster, anti epileptic and as neuro protective drug.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 tablet twice a day with normal water.
- Rasayan Vati:
Rasayan vati is herbo-mineral Ayurvedic formulation which contains various herbs such as Aswagandha, Shilajeet, Amla, Musali, Shatavar, Brahmi, Mukta pisti, Praval pisti, , Kaunch Beej, Saunth, Mirch, Brahmi, etc. These ingredients show antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, antipyretic, analgesic, immune-modulator properties. These tablets provides good results in General debility, Psychological disorders, and improves immunity.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 tablet twice daily.
- Calm Sleep tablet:
calm sleep tablet is an amazing combination of natural herbs like bhang, Brahmi, Tagar, jatamansi. It helps to relieve stressful conditions. They help to pacify the nervous system and also helps to calm minds and make your body relax and light. In Ayurveda when there is an imbalance of three energies i.e. vata, pitta and Kapha, it leads to disease. Vata has a sub dosha named prana doshas which regulates the sensory perception, brain, and mind. calm sleep tablets is effective in depression, anxiety, insomnia, amnesia, Alzheimer’s disease, obesity, and hypertension.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 tablet twice a daily.
- Brain relaxant churna:
This churna is a pure Ayurvedic preparation which contains Amla (Emlica officinalis), Sonth (Zingiber officinale), Pippali (Piper longum), Marich (Piper nigrum), Haldi (Curcuma longa), Bala (Sida cordifolia), Suddha gandhak, Lauha bhasma, etc. It is mainly used for the treatment of psychiatric conditions, speech problems, to improve the intelligence and also beneficial in sleep disturbances, panic attacks, phobia, and relieves stress.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 tablespoonful twice daily.
- Stress care tablet:
Stress care tablets are pure herbal formulation prepared from ingredients like Sarpgandha (Rauwolfia serpentine), Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri), Jatamansi (Nardostacys jatamansi).The herbs used for formulation of these tablets show antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-stress, anti-depressant, & immune-modulator properties. These herbal tablets gives good result in Stress, Depression, Anxiety, All neurological disorders, Increases intelligence, and Improves memory.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 tablet twice daily.