by Dr Vaid Ji on Oct 20, 2023
Fibromyalgia is a complex and chronic medical condition characterized by widespread musculoskeletal pain, along with fatigue, sleep disturbances, and tenderness in localized areas. It is often considered a syndrome because it involves a collection of symptoms rather than a single, specific disease.
The exact cause of fibromyalgia is not fully understood, but it is believed to involve a combination of genetic, environmental, and neurological factors. Some potential factors include:
- Genetics: A family history of fibromyalgia may increase the risk.
- Infections: Certain infections have been associated with the onset of fibromyalgia.
- Physical or emotional trauma: Experiencing a traumatic event, surgery, or emotional stress may trigger or worsen symptoms.
Common symptoms of fibromyalgia include:
- Widespread musculoskeletal pain that persists for at least three months
- Fatigue and decreased energy
- Sleep disturbances, such as difficulty falling asleep or waking up unrefreshed
- Cognitive difficulties often referred to as "fibro fog," which can include memory and concentration problems
- Tender points on the body, where even slight pressure can cause pain
- Headaches, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), and other associated conditions.
Several factors may increase the risk of developing fibromyalgia:
- Gender: It is more common in women than in men.
- Age: It often develops between the ages of 30 and 60, though it can occur at any age.
- Family history: Having close relatives with fibromyalgia may increase the risk.
- Other health conditions: Certain conditions like rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, and irritable bowel syndrome are associated with an increased risk of fibromyalgia.
It's essential to note that fibromyalgia is a complex condition with no specific cure. Treatment focuses on managing symptoms, improving quality of life, and often involves a multidisciplinary approach that may include medication, physical therapy, lifestyle changes, and psychological support
Management of Fibromyalgia According to Ayurveda-
In Ayurveda, the management of fibromyalgia focuses on balancing the doshas, improving overall health, and addressing the specific symptoms associated with the condition. Here are some Ayurvedic approaches to managing fibromyalgia:
- Balancing Doshas: An Ayurvedic practitioner will assess your constitution (Prakriti) and the dosha imbalances (Vikriti) contributing to your fibromyalgia symptoms. Treatment will aim to balance these doshas.
- Diet: Follow a dosha-balancing diet that emphasizes warm, well-cooked, and easily digestible foods. Avoid or minimize processed foods, caffeine, and alcohol. Herbal teas and spices like ginger and turmeric can be beneficial.
- Herbal Remedies: Ayurvedic herbs and herbal formulations may be recommended based on your specific constitution and symptoms. These can help reduce pain and inflammation. Ashwagandha and Shatavari are commonly used herbs.
- Panchakarma: Some individuals with fibromyalgia may benefit from Panchakarma therapies, which are Ayurvedic detoxification and rejuvenation treatments. These can help eliminate toxins and balance the doshas.
- Yoga and Meditation: Gentle yoga and meditation can be helpful for managing pain and improving relaxation. These practices can also reduce stress, which often exacerbates fibromyalgia symptoms.
- Oil Massage (Abhyanga): Regular self-massage with warm sesame or coconut oil can help relax muscles and reduce pain.
- Adequate Rest: Ensure you get sufficient and restorative sleep. Ayurveda places a strong emphasis on maintaining a healthy sleep routine.
- Lifestyle Modifications: Avoid overexertion and maintain a balanced daily routine. Avoid exposure to extreme cold or excessive heat.
Management of Fibromyalgia accordting to Chandigarh Ayurved Centre-
FIBROMYALGIA RELIEF KIT
ALL PRODUCTS DESCRIPTION IN DETAIL1. Detox premium powder:
This is a herbo-mineral preparation that contains ingredients like Parwal Pishti, Giloy satv, Shukta Pishti, Kamdudha Ras, Gandhak Rasayan, etc.
Parwal Shukti – Parwal Shukti is very beneficial in the condition of headache, depression, temporomandibular joint disorder, tensions, irritable bowel syndrome etc. It also reduces the stiffness and boosts the immune system.
Shukta Pishti: It helps to balance the Pitta dosha in the body. All signs and symptoms related to Psoriasis patients are managed with this pishti.
Giloy Satva: Giloy satva helps in detoxification of body that removes all the toxins. It is best anti-inflammatory and blood purifier. This satva act as a strong antacid that deals with hyperacidity and all the gastric problems.
Kamdudha Ras: This herbal-mineral classical preparation balances Pitta dosha in the body.
Gandhak Rasayana: This herbal preparation is used since ancient times for all types of skin disorders.
It contains ingredients like Shuddh parad, Aloe vera, Gandhak, etc that relieve redness in psoriasis patients.
Akik Pishti: It acts as a Cardiac tonic reduces the stress and improves the health. Also helps in reducing the inflammation by acting on body mechanism. Akik is also beneficial for preventing the acidity and neutralize the oxidant effect of free radicals and other substances.
Yavakshara: It gives best result in chronic pain, nausea, muscle spasm, and nerve pain. Yavakshara also influences the areas of the brain associated with memory and co-ordination. Regular use of this sachet will help to improve the mental health.
Jahar Mohar : Jahar mohar is frequently used for managing the high blood pressure. It has different properties like, Antidiarrheal, Antiemetic, Antacid, and Digestive stimulant.
Recommended Dosage–Take 1 sachet twice a day with normal water
Active plus Tablet is a pure herbo-mineral formulation prepared from best quality of herbs. This tablet is best for person mental and physical health also helps to boost up the immunity. The herbal ingredients present in these tablets are used to maintain person’s health and refreshes the mind and body. These tablets improves digestion, eliminates constipation, stress, nourishes brain, acts as antioxidant, analgesic, anti-inflammatory, etc.
Recommended Dosage – Take 1 tablet twice daily with normal water.
This herbal oil contain ingredients like – Rasna (Pluchea lanceolata), Kustha (Saussurea lappa), Jyotishmati (Celastrus paniculatus), Vatsnabh (Aconitum ferox), Devdaru (Cedrus deodara) etc. This oil is an Ayurvedic medicine which gives best result in all types of pain. It is beneficial for the muscle relaxant, sports injury, low back pain, weakness, etc. This oil has a good result in reducing the inflammation.
Method of Usage – It is applied on the affected portion of the body and massage with light pressure. Do this procedure twice a day.
As the name suggests these tablets will kill the pain naturally, the herbs present in the formation of these tablets are Ashwagandha, Hadjod, Punarnava, Nirgundi, Methi, Garlic, etc. These herbs in combination show antioxidant, analgesic, anti-inflammatory, immuno-modulator properties. The regular use of these tablets reduces body pain and acts on its root cause.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 tablet twice daily with normal water.
Nerve up tablets help in balancing the vata dosha and reduces kapha dosha, and acts as nervine stimulant. It shows effective results in improving the central nervous system. It contains natural ingredients like shudha kuchala, shudha shilajeet, praval pishti etc. This tablet helps in the symptoms related to Allergy, ankylosis spondylitis, provide relief from muscle pain.
Recommended Dosage – Take 1 tablet twice daily.
Vata balance tablet is a rejuvenating blend of herbs is specially formulated to balance Vata doshas without aggravating Pitta or Kapha doshas. It may be used to support overall health and well-being by Vata constitutions with or without food. For those with a dual constitution that includes Vata or a tridoshic constitution, it is an excellent formula for the Vata season, which in most parts of the world is autumn and early winter.
Recommended Dosage – Take 1 tablet twice a day with normal water.