by Dr Vaid Ji on Dec 22, 2023
Osteoporosis is a medical condition in which bones become weak and brittle. In this condition your bones become thinner and less dense than they should be. People with osteoporosis are much more likely to experience broken bones. If you have osteoporosis your bones are much more fragile than they should be, and much weaker. Osteoporosis commonly affected bones include your- wrists, hips, spine. People with osteopenia have early signs of osteoporosis, if osteopenia is not treated, it can become osteoporosis.
What causes osteoporosis?
This condition happens as you get older and your bones lose their ability to reform and regrow themselves. During your life, your body continues to both reabsorb old bone and create new bone. Fragile, Brittle bones can be caused by anything that makes your body destroy too much bone, or keeps your body from making enough new bone. As you aged, your body may reabsorb calcium and phosphate from your bones instead of keeping these minerals in your bones. This makes your bones weaker. If you do not eat enough food with calcium and vitamin D, then your bones become brittle and more likely to fracture.
- Other causes of bone loss include- having certain medical conditions that cause increased inflammation in the body.
- A decrease in estrogen in women at the time of menopause and a decrease in testosterone in men as they age
- Taking certain medicines such as, certain seizure medicines, hormone treatments for prostate or breast cancer, steroid medicines taken for more than 3 months
Symptoms of osteoporosis- The most common symptom is suddenly breaking a bone, especially after a small fall or minor accident that usually wouldn’t hurt you.
- Back pain, caused by a fractured or collapsed vertebra
- A bone that breaks much more easily than expected
- Loss of height over time
- Changes in your natural posture
- Shortness of breath
Risk factors of osteoporosis
Some health conditions can make you more likely to develop osteoporosis includes-
- Gastrointestinal diseases and inflammatory bowel disease
- Autoimmune disorders that affect your bones such as arthritis that affects your spine
- Blood disorders
- Endocrine disorders- any condition that affects your parathyroid glands, thyroid gland and hormones
- Family history of osteoporosis
Some medications and surgical procedures can increase your risk of osteoporosis includes-
- Hormonal therapy for cancer
- Proton pump inhibitors
Certain aspects of your diet and exercise routine can develop osteoporosis including –
- Not getting enough calcium or vitamin D in your diet
- Not getting enough physical exercise
- Regularly drinking alcohol
- Eat a diet rich in calcium and vitamin D throughout your life.
- Avoid smoking
- Avoid smoking, and caffeine
- Exercise regularly especially walking or jogging
- Intake of dairy products, Dairy products have the highest calcium content; these products include milk, cheese and yogurt. Dark green leafy vegetables contain high amounts of calcium. Broccoli, collards are all good sources of calcium.
Management of osteoporosis according to Ayurveda-
In Ayurveda osteoporosis classified as a Vata disorder. Osteoporosis is caused by excessive amounts of air. It is consider as the impairment in the calcium metabolism leading to the improper digestion and absorption of calcium and phosphate .According to Ayurveda, vitiation in the levels of vata is the cause for asthi sushiria or osteoporosis.
Panchkarma thearpies for osteoporosis-
- Performing snehana using different medicated oils like dashamoola taila and mahanarayana taila
- Basti is used for treating asthi related disorders..It mainly used to treat diseases that are caused due to excess vata in the body, this therapy works on the entire colon.
Ayurvedic herbs for osteoporosis-
Ayurvedic medicines for osteoporosis-
- Laksha guggulu
- Pravala pishti
- Muktashukti bhasma
- Mahayogaraj guggulu
Pathya for osteoporosis-
- Exercise regularly
- Reduce excess body weight
- Eat easily digestible and nutritious foods
- Perform asanas to improve joint flexibility
- Avoid sleeping during the day
- Quit smoking and consuming alcohol
- Includes fruits like mangoes, pomegranates and grapes in your diet.
Apathya for osteoporosis-
- Do not over exercise
- Do not eat salty or pungent foods
- Do not walk too much
Yoga Asanas that improve your bone health and reduce the Risk of osteoporosis-
- Setu Bandha Sarvangasana
Osteoporosis Care Kit1. Immuno Booster Tablet
It is a pure herbal combination that helps to build up immunity. It consists of effective levels of antioxidants. vitamin C and E circulate in the body to protect it against the damage caused by free radicals. It has natural immunity-boosting properties to prevent and ease cough, cold, headache, and infections. it provides quick relief from early signs of running nose, itching throat, body ache, and weakness.
Recommended Dosage – Take 1 tablet twice daily with normal water.
2. Asthi Shakti
This herbal tablet is prepared from ingredients such as Amalaki, Ashwagandha, etc. that provide good result to osteoarthritis patients. These tablets help in reducing stiffness, pain, swelling, & inflammation of the joints.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 tablet twice daily with normal water.
3. Vata balance tablet
Vata balance tablet is a rejuvenating blend of herbs is specially formulated to balance Vata doshas without aggravating Pitta or Kapha doshas. It may be used to support overall health and well-being by Vata constitutions with or without food. For those with a dual constitution that includes Vata or a tridoshic constitution. Vata is characterized by the properties of dry, cold, light, minute, and movement. All movement in the body is due to the properties of Vata. Pain is the characteristic feature of deranged Vata. Some of the diseases connected to unbalanced Vata are flatulence, gout, rheumatism, etc.
Recommended Dosage: Take one tablet twice daily after meals.
4. Panchasakar Churna
It is a pure and classical preparation known as Panchsakar churna. This churna is used since ancient time for the detoxification of the body. The churna contain five ingredients as the name suggests Haritaki, Shunthi, Krishna Pippali, Trivrit, and Sauvarchala lavana. As toxins are removed from the body knee pain will automatically subsides.
Recommended Dosage: Take one teaspoonful at bedtime with lukewarm water.
5. Rasayan vati
Rasayan vati are 100% natural and safe containing herbo-mineral extracts. These ingredients show antioxidant, aphrodisiac, anti-inflammatory, antipyretic, analgesic, immuno-modulator properties.These tablets give good results in General debility, Sexual disorders, and Improves immunity.
Recommended Dosage: Take one tablet twice daily after meals.