by Dr Vaid Ji on Dec 12, 2023
Blepharitis is the inflammation of the eyelid that affects the eyelashes or tears production. This condition commonly occurs when the tiny oil glands of the inner eyelid become inflamed. It often occurs along with other skin conditions or allergies. There are two types of blepharitis-
- Anterior blepharitis – this condition occurs when your eyelids front exterior where the eyelashes come out of your lids, and is red or darker in color and swollen, when you have dandruff on your lashes.
- Posterior blepharitis- this condition happens when the oil producing meibomian glands under your eyelid produce thickened unhealthy oil.
1) Anterior blepharitis causes-
- Acne rosacea
- Dry eyes
- Lice or mites in eyelashes
- Posterior blepharitis causes-
- Acne rosacea
- Meibomian gland dysfunction
Sign and symptoms of Blepharitis-
Red irritated eyes that itch or burn
Flakes of skin collecting around your eyes and eyelids
Dry eye or excessive tearing
Swollen eyelids and greasy eyelids
Crusting of eyelashes and eyelids corners making your eyelids stick together
Loss of eyelashes
You may be more at risk of developing blepharitis if you-
- Wear contact lenses
- Have diabetes
- Exposed to irritants like dust and chemicals
- Have a high number of microbes that normally live on your skin
- Work or live in dry environments this includes spending a lot of time in air conditioning
- Are going through menopause or hormonal changes
- Try not to touch your itchy eyes or your face, use a clean tissue if you must touch them.
- Keep your hands face and scalp clean.
- Remove all eye makeup before bedtime
- Wear glasses instead of contact lenses until the condition clears.
- Use antidandruff shampoo to wash your hair.
- Wipe away excess tears or eye drops with a clean tissue.
Management of blepharitis according to ayurveda-
In ayurveda blepharitis can be correlated with the krimigranthi. The disease is a result of kapha and pitta the measures which pacify both the doshas are to be taken care.
Treatment for blepharitis-