IRRITABLE BOWEL SYNDROME
by Dr Vaid Ji on Aug 26, 2023
Irritable bowel syndrome is a chronic gastrointestinal disorder mainly affecting large intestine that causes digestive track to be sensitive and changes bowel movements resulting in cramps, bloating; constipation or diarrhea. There's the role of psychosomatic channel i.e. Gut Brain Axis in IBS. The gut micro biota and autonomous nervous system have integrated actions and communication which plays a vital role in its occurrence and perpetuation. Most people with IBS don't have severe symptoms and some can even control their symptoms by managing diet, lifestyle and stress. It affects 10-20% world population with females being more prone to it.
WHAT CAUSES IBS ?
The exact causes of Irritable bowel syndrome are not known but some factors which may play important role or become triggers are:
- After severe gastroenteritis.
- Nervous system issues or change in Gut Brain axis communication.
- Stressful life or early life stress.
- Allergic to certain food items.
- Changes in gut micro biota.
YOU MAYBE AT A HIGHER RISK IF YOU HAVE:
- Family history of IBS
- Anxiety, emotional stress or tension
- Food intolerance
- History of sexual abuse
- Severe digestive tract infection
WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS OF IBS ?
Common symptoms of Irritable bowel syndrome includes:
- Pain in abdomen and cramps
- Bloating and Distension of abdomen
- Appearance of mucus in stool
- Episodes of either constipation or loose stools.
- Changes in frequency of stools
- Sensation of incomplete bowel movement
- Nausea and anorexia
TYPES OF IBS:
IBS with constipation- Hard and lumpy stool which is commonly triggered by eating.
IBS with diarrhea- Diarrhea occurs first thing in morning or after eating. There is a frequent urge to use washroom.
IBS mixed- There is alteration between constipation and diarrhea.
Post-infectious IBS- Triggered by gastrointestinal infection.
AYURVEDIC APPROACH FOR IBS :
IBS known as 'Grahani' in ayurveda is a tridoshaja vyadhi which involves samana vayu, pachak pitta and kledaka kapha. The jatharagni i.e. the diggestive fire is decreased which leads to formation of Ama which blocks the annavaha srotas causing Grahani disorder.
In Ayurveda various treatment modalities are described for management of GRAHANI such as- Panchkarma procedures, herbs and other ayurvedic formulations, yoga and life style modifications.
Some panchkarma procedures are of particular relevance like the use of Piccha vasti in IBS. Vasti karma is also known as ardha chikitsa. One of the vasti karma mentioned in classics is Piccha vasti which is named because of its picchila property(sticky or lubricant). This property of piccha vasti allows it to form a protective layer over intestine thus, reducing intestinal friction. Piccha vasti in IBS according to sushruta samhita is prepared with shalmali kanta churan, Krishana til pishti, Ghrita, Madhu and Dugdha and given in quantity of 160ml for 14 days. Many of these have madhura rasa, sheeta virya and madhur paaka which enables it to act as pitt shamak, sroto har, vrana ropan and rakta stambhak. It has not only good results of symptomatic relief but also there is no reoccurrence even after a year.
Some of important herbs for IBS:
- Dill seeds
- Mentha piperita
Yoga Postures for IBS:
- Shashanka asna (the rabbit pose)
- Ardha Mastsyendra asana (half seated spinal twist)
- Dhanur asana (bow pose)
- Pavanmukta asana (wind relieving pose)
- AnandBala asana (baby pose)
Life Style And Dietary Habits To Manage IBS :
- Being aware of allergy causing diet and avoiding it.
- Eliminating alcohol, carbonated drinks, high sugar beverages from diet.
- Getting adequate amount of sleep.
- Eliminating unnecessary stress triggers from life
- Daily exercising for at least 20 minutes.
- Fiber rich diet.
- Trying to eat homemade food only
- Avoiding food that causes flatulence such as beans, celery, carrots, apricots.
- Increase fiber in your diet.
- Drink plenty of water
- Avoid caffeine from all sources of caffeinated beverages.
- Limit cheese and milk
- Avoid smoking
- Eat smaller meals more often
- Record the food items which cause IBS flare ups for you.
CHANDIGARH AYURVEDIC CENTRE MEDICATION FOR THE TREATMENT OF IBS :
We at Chandigarh Ayurved Centre give you the best herbal remedies and ayurvedic medicines such as the IBS Care Kit for natural and ayurvedic treatment of Irritable Bowel Syndrome. These remedies cure the disease of its root with no other complication on your body.
All Products Description in Detail
1. Pittashekhar RasaThese are herbal tablets prepared from ingredients like , Bilva majja, Kalmegha etc. that balances pitta dosha in the body. Regular use of these tablets improves digestion, enhances appetite, carminative, reduces acidity, prevents gastric ulcers, reduces heartburn, acts as a laxative, & reduces pain in the abdomen, etc.
Recommended Dosage:Take 1 tablet twice daily with normal water.
2. Detox Standard PowderThese herbal sachets are prepared from ingredients such as Parwal pishti, Shukta pishti, Giloy, Shwet parpati that gives calming effect on the stomach. These sachets have anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and antacid like properties. It mainly affects in lowering the pitta dosha of the body and maintains proper digestion of the body.
Recommended Dosage:Take one sachet twice daily with normal water.
3. Puran Pachak
Puran Pachak is a herbo-mineral Syrup of 200 ml and is Purely Ayurvedic formulation. CAC Puran Pachak syrup helps in Digestion, Supports the Digestive system, and Maintains the doshas in our body. It also helps to remove out impurities or ama from the body. This syrup reduce the Acidity, Detoxify the blood and also Supports the body health. It shows Antacid, Digestive, Anti-inflammatory, Analgesic, Expectorant, and Antioxidant properties. This syrup is made up of pure ayurvedic herbs such as Mulethi, Saunf, Vasakha, Ajwayan, Prpati etc. that helps to maintain the Digestive system and in the body.
Recommended Dosage:Take 2 teaspoonful twice daily.
4. Panchsakar Churna:
This is a classical herbal churna prepared from ingredients such as Saindhavan Lavana (Rock Salt), Swarnapatri (Cassia angustifolia), Shatapushpa (Anethum sowa), Shunti (Zingiber officinale), Balaharitaki (Terminalia chebula). These all in combination deal with problems like loss of appetite, abdominal pain, bloating, flatulence, constipation, weak digestion, etc.
Recommended Dosage:Take a half teaspoon of this churna twice daily with normal water.
5. Kutaj Ghan Vati
Kutaj Ghan vati is purely herbal formulation. It is very useful in curing diarrhea intestinal infection, and dysentery. These herbal tablets deal with all signs & symptoms related to diarrhea patients. Kutaj ghan vati contains ingredients like Kutaj (Holarrhena antidysenterica), Ativisha (Aconitum heterophyllum) that manage the symptoms like abdominal pain, abdominal cramps, nausea, vomiting, loose stools, general weakness, fatigue, etc. The herbs in these tablets show antioxidant, anti-diarrheal, anti-inflammatory, etc properties.
Recommended Dosage: Take two tablets twice a day before meal with water.
6. Sheet Dhara Syrup
This herbal syrup is prepared from ingredients such as ajwain satav, mushak kapoor, peppermint, etc that naturally relieve the symptoms like bloating, blenching, nausea, vomiting, feeling of discomfort, etc. The regular use of this herbal syrup neutralizes the high acid content, reduces abdominal pain, & cramps.
Recommended dosage: Take half teaspoonful of this syrup in half a cup of water. Drink this mixture twice daily on an empty stomach.
7. Digestion care tabletThis tablet is unique blend of best digestive herbs like kutaz chal, bilav, dhania, mustak, piper mint, and dadima that maintain natural Ph balance in the stomach and aid digestion of all types of food. The herbs present in this control acidity, gas, flatulence, and constipation. These complex problems are the root cause of all diseases. If the digestive system is proper it leads to proper assimilation of the nutrients in the body. As per Ayurveda digestive disorders are due to the imbalance of Pitta doshas. Ama formation leads to digestive disorders.
Recommended dosage: Take 1 tablet twice daily with plain water