by Dr Vaid Ji on Aug 28, 2023
Ulcerative colitis is a chronic inflammatory bowel disease which involves large intestine. Sometimes due to abnormal reactions of immune system inflammation and ulcers are created on inner lining of large intestine resulting in Ulcerative colitis. It occurs mostly in young adults. This inflammation usually starts at rectum and may involve whole of large intestine.
It's severity is depended upon the amount and location of inflammation. There is a flare-up and remission pattern in Ulcerative Colitis.
About half of people who are diagnosed with ulcerative colitis have mild symptoms. Sometimes ulcerative colitis also causes problems outside of your colon such as arthritis, inflammation of eye, liver disease and osteoporosis and these issues go away when ulcerative colitis is treated.
SYMPTOMS OF ULCERATIVE COLITIS
Symptoms of Ulcerative Colitis worsen with time. Initially they may include nausea, diarrhea, belly cramps and tiredness. Later on as the condition deteriorates you may observe:-
- Reoccurring diarrhea which may contain blood, mucus or pus
- Severe abdominal cramps
- Mouth sores
- Loss of fluids and nutrients from body
- Liver disease
- Weight loss
During a flare-up there are sometimes extra-intestinal symptoms, like:
- Arthritis- Causing painful and swollen joints
- Skin rashes
- Swollen fat under the skin causing bumps and patches
- Irritated and red eyes
- Osteoporosis or other bone problems
CAUSES OF ULCERATIVE COLITIS
The primary reason for Ulcerative Colitis seems to be an overactive immune system. The job of immune system is to protect the body from viruses, bacteria and other harmful microbes but, sometimes immune system messes up and starts harming our own body. This can cause inflammation and tissue damage.
Ulcerative colitis is more common in these people:
- People who are aged 15 to 30 years.
- People eating a high fat diet.
- People taking NSAIDs such as ibuprofen.
- Women taking birth control pills.
- People who have a family history of IBS.
ADVISED DIET IN ULCERATIVE COLITIS
WHAT TO EAT IN ULCERATIVE COLITIS
- Food which is low in fiber like melon, pineapple, rice bran, cabbages, potatoes, onion, green peppers, oatmeal, rice flour etc.
- Consuming a protein rich diet.
- Can eat fish, soy, eggs and tofu etc.
- Can drink homemade shakes and juices.
- Try to include satvik food in your diet.
- Increase your liquid intake via water, coconut water, soup and juices
- Avoid unnecessary stressors and exercise regularly at least for 20-30 minutes.
- Avoid fried food.
- Take medicines prescribed to you regularly.
- Maintain a records of what you eat and symptoms you see.
WHAT NOT TO EAT IN ULCERATIVE COLITIS
- Insoluble fiber-rich foods: hard to digest, such as raw vegetables, broccoli, cauliflower, whole nuts and whole grains.
- Milk and milk products specially ones containing sugar in higjher amounts.
- Avoid non absorbable sugar or things that contain high amounts of sugars like carbonated drinks, candy, ice cream.
- Food which is high in fat and greasy like butter.
- Alcohol and beverages which are rich in caffeine.
- Spicy food or junk food.
AYURVEDIC APPROACH FOR ULCERATIVE COLITIS
Ulcerative Colitis is associated with Pittaj Grahani in Ayurveda. It is a disease of purishavaha srotas which is caused by pitta pradhan vaata dosha.
It's treatment is done by herbal medicines and panchkarma therapy, lifestyle modifications and a strict diet routine. Panchkarma therapy procedures like vasti plays a vital role in severe cases as it heals digestive tract, controls inflammation, rectal bleeding and also heals ulcerations.
Udumbara kwath has properties of pitta and vata shamana and also vrana shodhana and ropana along with stambhana properties which heals colon and helps in reducing bowel frequency. Kutaja ghan vati has atisara nashak guna i.e. stambhana properties that helps in reducing bowel frequency. Musta, Nagkesar and lodhra maintains normal movements and checks bleeding.
ALL PRODUCTS DESCRIPTION IN DETAIL:
1. Detox Premium Powder
These are herbal-mineral sachet especially designed for the ulcerative colitis patients. The various ingredients used for the formation of these sachets are prawal pishti, shukta pishti, Giloy satv, kehrva pishti, Jahar Mohra pishti, sutshekhar ras, shankh bhasma, kamdudha ras, moti bhasma that in combination provide good relief on the signs and symptoms of ulcerative colitis patients.
- Shukta pishti: The bhasma is prepared from pearl oyster shell calcium. This pishti shows antioxidant & anti-inflammatory properties that give deal with the ulcerative colitis patients.
- Prawal pishti: It is made from coral calcium that reduces bleeding associated with ulcerative colitis patients.
- Giloy satv: This herbal satv remove all toxins from the body. It reduces excessive Pitta from the body associated with ulcerative colitis.
- Jahar Mohra pishti: The antidiarrheal property of this pishti stops loose stools that are the main symptoms in ulcerative colitis patient.
- Kehrva pishti: This pishti provides good results in rectal bleeding, diarrhea, rectal bleeding, and abdominal inflammation related to ulcerative colitis patients.
- Sutshekhar ras: This preparation reduces bloating & gastritis. It provides calming effect on the body.
- Akik pishti: It is a mineral-based medicine that reduces excessive heat, weakness, & general debility.
- Kamdudha ras: This ras is beneficial in burning sensation, loose stools, bleeding tendencies related to ulcerative colitis patients.
- Moti bhasma: The anti-inflammatory property of this herb reduces inflammation in the body.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 sachet twice daily with normal water.
2. Ulcer Heal Tablet
Ulcers are caused when the colon becomes inflamed and there is a formation of ulcers on the inner lining of the colon. the largest intestine is affected rather than the small intestine. these are painful, swollen, and leads to fullness and a perpetual feeling of going to pass stools. Ulcers heal tablets of CAC protect the endothelial layer, cure ulcers, and restores body metabolism.
Recommended Dosage : Take 1 tablet twice daily with normal water 30 mins after a meal.
3. Kutaja Ghan Vati
It is an herbal formulation that is safe without any side effects. It is prepared from ingredients like Kutaj, Shankh bhasma, & Musta. These ingredients help to treat chronic diarrhea associated with ulcerative colitis. It is also helpful in ama digestion i.e. removal of toxins from the body, rectal bleeding, colon inflammation and abdominal cramps.
Recommended Dosage : Take 2 tablets twice daily with normal water 30 mins after a meal.
4. Stop Bleeding Tablets
CAC stop bleeding tablet is a pure herbal formulation that acts as an anticoagulant in nature. it helps to stop or reduce heavy bleeding. when there is bleeding, the body forms clots to stop the bleeding. in some of these clots leads to bleeding after breakage. therefore stop bleeding tablet helps in stopping the clots from breaking and thus reduce the excessive unwanted bleeding. these tablets have anti-inflammatory, pain killer, anticoagulant properties. It also pacifies pitta doshas and helps in detoxification of rakta dhatu (blood tissue).
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 tablet twice daily with plain water after meal.
5. Puran Pachak
Puran Pachak is a herbo-mineral Syrup of 200 ml and is Purely Ayurvedic formulation. CAC Puran Pachak syrup helps in Digestion, Supports the Digestive system, and Maintains the doshas in our body. It also helps to remove out impurities or ama from the body. This syrup reduce the Acidity, Detoxify the blood and also Supports the body health. It shows Antacid, Digestive, Anti-inflammatory, Analgesic, Expectorant, and Antioxidant properties. This syrup is made up of pure ayurvedic herbs such as Mulethi, Saunf, Vasakha, Ajwayan, Prpati etc. that helps to maintain the Digestive system and in the body.
Recommended Dosage: Take 2 teaspoonful twice daily.
6. Digestion Support Tablet:
This tablet is unique blend of best digestive herbs like kutaz chal, bilav, dhania, mustak, shankh bhasm, piper mint, and dadim that maintain natural Ph balance in the stomach and aid digestion of all types of food. The herbs present in this control acidity, gas, flatulence and constipation.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 tablet twice daily.
7. Sheet Dhara Syrup
This herbal syrup is prepared from ingredients such as ajwain satav, mushak kapoor, peppermint, etc that naturally relieve the symptoms like bloating, blenching, nausea, vomiting, feeling of discomfort, etc. The regular use of this herbal syrup neutralizes the high acid content, reduces abdominal pain, & cramps.
Recommended dosage: Take half teaspoonful of this syrup in half a cup of water. Drink this mixture twice daily on an empty stomach.