RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS (AMAVATA)
by Dr Vaid Ji on Oct 16, 2023
Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is a chronic autoimmune disease that primarily affects the joints. In RA, the immune system mistakenly attacks the synovium (lining of the membranes that surround the joints), causing inflammation, pain and swelling in the affected joints. This can lead to joint damage, deformities and a range of systemic symptoms. RA is characterized by its chronic and progressive nature and requires medical management to control symptoms and prevent joint damage.
CAUSES OF RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS :
The exact cause of rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is not fully understood, but it is believed to involve a combination of genetic and environmental factors. Here are some key factors associated with the development of RA:
- Genetics: A family history of RA increases the risk of developing the condition. Specific genes, like HLA-DR4 and HLA-DR1, are associated with a higher susceptibility to RA.
- Autoimmune Factors: RA is considered an autoimmune disease, meaning the immune system mistakenly attacks healthy tissues, primarily the synovium, which lines the joints. The reasons for this autoimmune response are complex and not entirely clear.
- Environmental Factors: Certain environmental factors, such as smoking and exposure to certain infections, are thought to play a role in triggering RA or exacerbating the condition in individuals with a genetic predisposition.
- Hormonal Factors: There is a higher incidence of RA in women than in men, suggesting that hormonal factors may contribute to the development of the disease. Hormonal changes, such as those occurring during pregnancy, can influence the activity of RA.
- Micro biome: Some research suggests that imbalances in the gut micro biome may be linked to RA, potentially influencing the immune response and inflammation.
SYMPTOMS OF RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS:
Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) can manifest with a variety of symptoms that typically affect the joints but can also have systemic effects. Common symptoms of RA include:
- Joint Pain: RA often causes joint pain, which is usually symmetrical, affecting the same joints on both sides of the body.
- Joint Swelling: Inflamed joints can become swollen and tender.
- Morning Stiffness: People with RA often experience prolonged morning stiffness that can last for more than 30 minutes.
- Joint Stiffness: Joints may become stiff and difficult to move, especially after periods of inactivity.
- Fatigue: RA is associated with persistent fatigue and a general feeling of tiredness.
- Fever: In some cases, RA can lead to low-grade fever.
- Weight Loss: Unintentional weight loss can occur as a result of the chronic inflammation associated with RA.
- Joint Deformities: Over time, RA can lead to joint deformities, as the inflammation and damage affect the joint structure.
- Systemic Effects: RA can affect other organs and systems in the body, leading to complications such as inflammation of the heart (pericarditis), lungs (pleuritis), or blood vessels (vasculitis).
DIAGNOSIS OF RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS :
Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) diagnosis typically involves a combination of clinical evaluation, medical history, and specific tests :
- Medical History and Physical Examination: A healthcare professional will begin by taking a detailed medical history, including information about your symptoms, their duration, and any family history of RA or other autoimmune diseases. They will also perform a physical examination to assess joint tenderness, swelling and range of motion.
- Rheumatoid Factor (RF): Elevated levels of RF are found in many RA patients, though not everyone with RA has high RF levels.
- Anti-Cyclic Citrullinated Peptide (anti-CCP) Antibodies: These antibodies are often present in RA patients and are considered a more specific marker for the disease.
- C-Reactive Protein (CRP) and Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate (ESR): These tests measure markers of inflammation, which are typically elevated in RA.
- Imaging Studies: X-rays, ultrasound, or magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) may be used to visualize joint damage, inflammation, and deformities in the affected joints.
AYURVEDIC MANAGEMENT OF RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS (AMAVATA)
Acc. to Ayurveda the main cause of disease is formation of Ama due to Agnimandya.
- The general principles of treatment of this disease in Ayurveda lay emphasis on stimulating and normalizing the impaired Agni and digesting Ama by the use of :
- Katu and
- SNEHAN – after langhanadi therapies the patient should be subjected to snehapana to pacify vata and to augment the agni.
- VIRECHAN – after administration of langhan, swedan and tikta, katu and deepan drugs the patient should be subjected to to virechan therapy because the doshas rendered nirama by these therapeutic measures require elimination from the body by shodhana.
- VASTI – in Amavata both Anuvasana as well as Niruha vasti have been advocated. Administration of Anuvasan vasti followed by Niruha vasti by various sneha has a good effect on Amavata.
- BALUKA SWEDA
- UPANAHA SWEDA.
SOME AYURVEDIC FORMULATIONS USED IN TREATMENT OF RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS (AMAVATA):
- Yograj guggul
- Mahayograj guggul
- Vaishwanar choorna
- Simhanaad guggul
- Ashwagandha choorna
- Eranda taila
- Rasonadi kwatha
- Pippalimula choorna
- Vishtinduk vati
- Vatagajankush ras
- Maharasnaadi kwath
- Sameerpanag ras
- Pippali vardhaman ksheerpaka
CAC MANAGEMENT OF RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS (AMAVATA)
Chandigarh Ayurved Centre prepared a kit ‘’Rheumatoid Arthritis Care Kit’’, especially for the management and prevention of joints in the initial stage. The kit is made up of natural and pure herbs and has a total of 4 products – Detox premium powder, Trikatu syrup, Panchasakar churna, Rasayan Vati, Nerve Up Tablet, Sheet Dhara and Pain O Kill Tablet.
ALL PRODUCTS DESCRIPTION IN DETAIL:
- Detox Premium Powder
Detox premium powder is a composition of herbal ingredients that detox your body by removing the toxins naturally. It contains ingredients like jahar mohra, akik pishti, gandhak rasayan, shankh bhasma, moti pishti, kamdudha ras, etc. It is the best medicine in reducing the redness, tenderness, stiffness, swelling in the case of rheumatoid arthritis.
Recommended Dosage – Take 1 sachet twice daily with normal water.
- Trikatu Syrup:
Trikatu combines the goodness of Black pepper, Ginger and, Long pepper to create an herbal remedy for digestive ailments, sluggish metabolism, obesity, and high cholesterol. This syrup has best results in anti-inflammatory, pain-relieving, and expectorant. It also help to tackle the weight problems or obesity. It can modulate your body’s immune response while cutting the characteristic inflammation associated with the rheumatoid arthritis.
Recommended Dosage –Take 2 teaspoonful twice a day before meal with normal water.
- Panchasakar Churna
As its name describes the churna has made up of a total of 5 natural ingredients – Swarna patri (Cassia angustifolia), Shunthi (Zingiber officinale), Haritaki (Terminalia chebula), Shatapushpa (Foeniculum vulgare), and Saindhava lavana (Rock salt). This churna is very beneficial to decrease the effect of aggravated Vata dosha thus relieves the excessive pain, discomfort, tenderness, etc. This wonderful remedy also corrects the digestive problems and other associated symptoms of Rheumatoid Arthritis.
Recommended Dosage – Take 1 tablespoon with lukewarm water at bedtime.
- Rasayan vati
Rasayan vati is herbo-mineral ayurvedic formulation, which is 100% natural. Rasayan vati contains various herbs such as Aswagandha, Shilajeet, Amla, Kesar, Musali, Shatavar, Brahmi , Swarn Makshik Bhasam, Yashad Bhasam, Mukta pisti, Praval pisti, Jaiphal, Vang Bhasam, Dalchini, Javitri, Gokhru, Kaunch Beej, Saunth, Mirch, Pipli, Amla, Kesar, Manjith, Anant Mool, Brahmi, Musali, Swarn Vang, etc. These ingredients show antioxidant, aphrodisiac, anti-inflammatory, antipyretic, analgesic, immuno-modulator properties.
Recommended Dosage – Take 1 tablet twice daily with normal water.
- Nerve up tablets:
Nerve up tablets help in balancing the vata doshas and kapha dosha, and acts as nervine stimulant. It shows effective results in improving the central nervous system. It contains natural ingredients like shudha kuchla, shudha shilajeet, praval pishti, shankh bhasma etc. These contains natural vatahar properties and helps in curing vata disorders, speed up physical and mental processes. It act as Respiratory stimulant, helps in Joint pain, Inflammation, Stiffness, Gout, Arthritis, Bodyache, Erectile dysfunction, and Body weakness.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 tablet twice daily.
- Sheet dhara syrup:
It works on all the three doshas of body but mainly act on pitta dosha. It contains Ajwain, Kapur (camphor) and Mint leaves that help reduce Acidityand burning sensation in chest region with its cooling effects. It relaxes your mind also maintains Bloodpressure. CAC Sheet dhara help in controlling mood swings by which many women are affected nowadays. It also controls burping ,nausea and bloating. Acid Reflux, Burning sensation in chest region, Bloating, Nausea, Burping, Hiccups, Maintain blood pressure, Control mood swings, Stomach ulcers, Improves Appetite.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1/2 or 1 teaspoon of sheet dhara twice daily empty stomach.
- Pain-O-kill Tablets
As the name suggests these tablets will kill the pain naturally. The herbs present in the formation of these tablets are Ashwagandha, Hadjod, Punarnava, Nirgundi, Methi, Garlic, etc. These herbs in combination show antioxidant, analgesic, anti-inflammatory, immuno-modulator properties. The regular use of these tablets reduce body pain and acts on its root cause.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 tablet twice daily with normal water.