by Dr Vaid Ji on Aug 28, 2023
Acne is a skin condition that occurs when hair follicles plug with oil and dead skin cells, also called pimples. This problem is most common in teenagers and young adults. In this condition you will usually get pimples on your face. The pores of your skin clogged, pore blockages produces blackheads, whiteheads and other types of pimples. There are several types of acne-
- Cystic acne- this acne causes deep pus filled pimples and nodules, these can cause scars.
- Fungal acne – it occurs when yeast builds up in your hair follicles, these can be itchy and inflamed.
- Nodular acne- it is a severe form of acne that causes pimples on the surface of your skin, tender and nodular lumps under your skin.
All these forms of acne can affect your confidence, cystic and nodular acne both can lead to permanent skin damage in the form of scarring. Acne is more common among women adults and teenagers.
Causes of acne
Main factors cause acne:
- Hair follicles clogged by oil and dead skin cells
- Bacteria, small amounts of bacteria naturally live on your skin if you have too much bacteria, it can clog your pores.
- Excess oil production
Certain things may trigger acne-
- Diet – consuming carbohydrate rich foods, such as chips and bread may worsen acne. Whey protein diets in high sugar may lead to cause acne
- Hormonal changes - Androgens hormones that increase in boys and girls during puberty and cause the sebaceous glands to enlarge and make more sebum. Hormone changes during midlife, particularly in women can lead to breakouts too.
- Stress – stress does not cause acne, but if you have acne already, it may make it worse
- Certain medications- drugs including corticosteroids, testosterone or lithium
- Air pollution and weather conditions especially high humidity cause pimple. Using of oily and greasy products like heavy lotions and creams on skin .these certain things in your environment contribute to acne or they can make acne breakout worse.
Signs and symptoms of acne
When you have acne you can develop these breakouts on your skin-
- Whiteheads – this forms when excess oil and dead skin cells build up and plug the opening of a pore this causes a blemish that is raised and white or flesh colored.
- Blackheads- this type of acne also develops when excess oil and dead skin build up inside a pore, as the buildup accumulates, it widens the opening of the pore and this cause blackheads.
- Pimples- excess oil, dead skin cells, and bacteria get trapped inside a pore. As the pore fills with bacteria, inflammation develops and pimple appears on skin. When the pimple contains pus, it’s called papule.
Acne may also occur on the trunk, legs, arms, buttocks. Skin changes include-
- Crusting of skin bumps
- Pustules ( small red bumps containing white or yellow pus)
- Scarring of the skin
- Redness around the skin eruptions
- Dark spots on the skin
- Acne scars – when acne breakout clears, it can leave a permanent scar on your skin.
Prevention- if you have acne, you can prevent by using these methods includes:
- Washing your skin after you exercise or sweat
- Washing your skin at least once daily with warm water and a gentle cleanser
- Avoid using skin care products with astringents, alcohol, toners which can harm your skin
- Removing your makeup at the end of the day or before you go to bed
- Avoid picking or squeezing your acne, let your skin heal naturally to prevent scars from forming on your skin.
- Choosing oil free moisturizer to apply on your skin after cleansing
Management of Acne according to Ayurveda
In Ayurveda, acne has been elaborated as one of the Kshudra Rogaas. Acne is called Yuvanpidika and Tarunyapitika as it manifests in Yuva or Taruna. The diseases is generally spread over the face and sometimes back, neck and shoulders due to the inflammatory and scarring nature of lesions , acne is also called Mukhadushika. Acne vulgaris is caused due to vitiation of kapha and vata doshas and rakta dhatu, this vitiated doshas and dhatus cause obstruction of the pilosebaceous unit of skin which causes acne. Vitiation of vata dosha and blood leads to hyperpigmentation of skin.
Acne Go Kit
ALL PRODUCTS DESCRIPTION IN DETAIL:
1) Twak Tailam:
Twak tailam is used for those who have acne-prone skin, skin discoloration and equally good for all skin types. It includes – Wrightia tinctoria, Coconut oil. This oil has been subjected to less intense refining, lower temperature with no chemicals. It has pacifying or cooling properties which further beneficial for improving the skin’s elasticity. In one single step, the skin is deeply cleansed as well as moisturized. It seeps into the pores and hydrates deeply and the molecules present in the oil ensuring the repair of the collagen layer.
Recommended Dosage: For external application over the affected area.
2) Aloe Vera Gel:
Aloe Vera Gel is formed with the pure extract of herb Aloe Vera and the mixture of rose petals. Thus this wonderful composition provides a cooling effect on the skin that relieves from burning sensation, itchiness, etc. The gel helps in maintaining healthy skin and repairing skin damage.
Recommended Dosage – Gently apply over the affected area of the skin.
3) Panchatikta Ghrita Guggulu:
The tablets are very beneficial in curing skin diseases as it contains the Pitta pacifying ingredients such as Shuddh guggulu (Commiphora mukul), Neem (Azadirachta indica), Amrita (Tinospora cordifolia), Gajapippali (Piper chaba), Shunthi (Zingiber officinalis), etc. The tablet is Tridoshahara, thus is very effective in maintaining the hormonal level in the body.
Recommended Dosage – Take 2 tablets twice daily with normal water.
4) Skin Care tablet:
Skin care tablet is herbo mineral and purely ayurvedic formulation. It contains various herbs like Haridra khand, Panchnimba churna, Panchatikta guggulu, Patol patra, Ajmoda, Khadir chhal, Chirayta, Mulethi, Manjistha, Chopchini, Gandhak, etc. Skin care tablet is a blood purifying. It cools and detoxifies the blood, dissolves obstructions in the blood flow that further increase blood circulation of the skin. It minimises the blemishes, lighten sun tan, delay ageing of skin and heal skin problems. These tablet also act as a skin moistuirizer, Improves blood circulation, Remove blemishes, Reduce itching and burning sensation of skin, Prevent acne and pimples, Relieves leucoderma.
Recommended Dosage – Take 2 tablets twice daily with normal water.
5) Detox Premium Powder:
This is a herbo-mineral preparation that contains ingredients like Parwal Pishti, Giloy satv, Shukta Pishti, Kamdudha Ras, Gandhak Rasayan, etc.
Parwal Pishti: This Pishti reduces inflammation, flaking, itching of the skin. The Pishti is composed of natural coral calcium processed with rose water.
Shukta Pishti: It helps to balance the Pitta dosha in the body. All signs and symptoms related to Psoriasis patients are managed with this article.
Giloy Satv: This satv is prepared from the herb Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia). The anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and analgesic properties of this herb deal with psoriasis easily.
Kamdudha Ras: This herbal-mineral classical preparation balances Pitta dosha in the body.
Gandhak Rasayana: This herbal preparation is used since ancient times for all types of skin disorders.
Tal Sindoor: It contains ingredients like Shuddh parad, Aloe vera, Gandhak, etc that relieve redness in psoriasis patients.
Akik Pishti: This Pishti reduces all types of Pitta related disorder hence it gives good results in psoriasis.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 sachet twice daily with plain water.
6) Rose Serum:
Rose Face Serum is purely herbal and Ayurvedic preparation. It contain pure rose extract which is used for thousands of years because it has nourishing, hydrating and soothing effect on skin . The other ingredients used like Winter cherry and goat milk have anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory properties and are loaded with essential vitamins that are helpful in various skin conditions like eczema, acne, pigmentation etc.
Method of Application – Use after face wash.