by Dr Vaid Ji on Aug 28, 2023
Cirrhosis of the liver is permanent scarring that damages your liver; this serious condition can be caused by many forms of liver diseases and conditions such as hepatitis or chronic alcoholism. Cirrhosis of the liver is late stage liver disease in which healthy liver tissue has been gradually replaced with scar tissue this is a result of long term chronic hepatitis. Hepatitis is inflammation in your liver.
Causes of liver cirrhosis
The most common cause of liver cirrhosis includes- long term consumption of alcohol, alcohol may be the well-known cause of liver cirrhosis. - Alcohol induced hepatitis; this is chronic liver damage from chronic heavy alcohol use.
- Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease, a condition in which fat accumulates in the liver. It is related to metabolic factors like high blood lipids, blood sugar and blood pressure.
- Chronic hepatitis B infection- It is a viral infection that may become chronic in a minority of people. If it does you will have it for life. It is treatable but not curable.
- Ongoing viral hepatitis
- Autoimmune hepatitis is a liver disease caused by the body’s immune system.
- Destruction of the bile ducts caused by primary biliary cholangitis
- Hemochromatosis is a condition that causes iron buildup in the body.
- Cystic fibrosis
- Infection such as syphilis
- Medications including isoniazid, methotrexate
- Less common causes of liver cirrhosis include-
- Genetic disorders- certain inherited conditions can cause toxic substances to build up in your liver and damage it such as cystic fibrosis, glycogen storage disease and Wilson disease.
- Cardiovascular disease- conditions that cause blood to build up in your liver or that prevent blood from reaching your liver can damage it.
- Toxic hepatitis – long term exposure to environmental toxins or use of certain medications may cause chronic liver damage.
Symptoms of liver cirrhosis
Liver cirrhosis often has no symptoms until liver damage is severe. When symptoms occur they may include-
- feeling generally ill
- Upper abdominal pain
- Visible blood vessels that look like spiders
- Loss of appetite
- Weight loss
- Itchy skin
- Easily bleeding or bruising
- Swelling in the legs, feet or ankles
- Yellow discoloration in the skin and eyes called jaundice
- Redness in the palms of the hands
- Spiderlike blood vessels on the skin
- Clubbing of the fingers, in which the fingertips spread out and become rounder than usual
- Confusion, drowsiness or slurred speech
Cirrhosis symptoms related to portal hypertension include- swelling in your hands and feet, legs, shortness of breath, blood in your vomit or blood in your stool
Cirrhosis symptoms related to declining liver function include, Pruritus, dark colored pee and light colored stool, digestive difficulties, especially with fats, motor dysfunction, in women absence of or loss of periods, in male breast enlargement, testicular shrinkage, hepatic encephalopathy, unexplained weight loss
Risk factors of liver cirrhosis
- Drinking too much alcohol- consumption of excessive alcohol is a risk factor of cirrhosis.
- Overweight- being overweight increases the risk of liver cirrhosis
- Injecting drugs using shared needles
- Exposure to other peoples blood and body fluids
- Exposure to certain chemicals or toxins
- Family history of liver disease
Complications of liver cirrhosis occur when the liver is severely damaged. Liver cirrhosis complication includes-
- Hepatic encephalopathy
- Esophageal varices
- Hepatorenal syndrome
- Hepatopulmonary syndrome
Living a healthy lifestyle helps your liver work efficiently and lowers the risk for liver disease.
- Maintaining a healthy weight
- Eating a healthy diet
- Exercising regularly
- Avoiding alcohol
- Optimizing care for conditions that can lead to liver disease
Management of liver cirrhosis according to Ayurveda-
In Ayurveda treatment of liver cirrhosis refers to the purification of pitta dosha which is the major factor for liver cirrhosis. The Ayurveda focuses on deliberately removing the root cause of the cirrhosis problem-
Balanced diet – take high protein rich diet, diets including nuts, grains, fruits and seeds, avoid alcohol consumption. Reduce salt intake, freshly extracted juices that remove toxins from the body such as papaya, lemon, and grapes
Lifestyle changes, routine practicing of breathing exercises
LIVER CIRRHOSIS CARE KIT
All Products description in detail:1. Kutki Capsule
These herbal capsules are prepared from the standardized extract of Picrorhiza kurroa. The herb used in this capsule show anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. These properties help in treating liver cirrhosis naturally.
Recommended Dosage: Take two capsules twice a day with normal water.
This is a herbo-mineral preparation that contains following ingredients: Moti pishti, Parwal pishti, Shukta pishti, Giloy satav, Kamdudha ras, Jahar Mohra pishti, Akik pishti, Gandhak rasayan, Shankh bhasam, Sutshekhar ras, Sudhyog tab, Shwet parpati, Yavakshaar. Premium detox powder keeps your liver cell healthy. It clears away the toxins from the body and stimulates the function of the liver and increases the flow of bile
Recommended Dosage: Take one sachet twice a day with normal water.
It is a herbo-mineral Syrup which is purely ayurvedic formulation. CAC Liver Care syrup helps in balancing Pitta dosha. This Syrup enhances regeneration of liver cells, promote functions of liver, and improve blood flow from the liver. It helps in the treatment of fatty liver, Liver cirrhosis, Hepatitis, hepatomegaly, and obstructive Jaundice. CAC Liver Care syrup contains Ingredients like Kalmegh (Andrographis paniculata), Kutaki(Picrorhiza kurroa), Bhumi amla( phyllanthus niruri), Giloy(Tinopora Cordifolia), Yavakshar( Hordeum vulgare), Imli Kshar( Tamarindus indica), Mukta Shukta pisti etc. These herbs show Antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, Hepato-protective, properties. This syrup improves digestion, enhances appetite.
It shows results in Fatty Liver, Liver Cirrhosis, Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C, Liver Cancer, Hepatomegaly, Inherited diseases- Hemochromatosis and Wilson’s disease, and Jaundice.
DOSAGE– Take 2 tablespoon twice daily
It is a herbo-mineral tablet of size 650 MG and is a purely ayurvedic formulation. CAC Liver Care tablets help in balancing Pitta dosha. These tablets stimulate the growth of new liver cells, promote functions of liver, and improve blood flow from the liver. It helps in the treatment of fatty liver, Liver cirrhosis, Hepatitis, hepatomegaly, and obstructive Jaundice. CAC Liver Care Tablets contains Ingredients like Kalmegh (Andrographis paniculata), Kutaki(Picrorhiza kurroa), Bhumi amla( phyllanthus niruri), Giloy(Tinopora Cordifolia), Yavakshar( Hordeum vulgare), Imli Kshar( Tamarindus indica), Mukta Shukta pisti etc. it shows results in Hepatomegaly, Inherited diseases- Hemochromatosis and Wilson’s disease, Jaundice and Obstructive jaundice
DOSAGE: Take one tablet twice a day with normal water.
It is a herbo mineral and purely ayurvedic formulation. It mainly works on your Vata and pitta dosha of your body. It can cure Chronic Constipation and help relieve symptoms of Acidity, indigestion, Belching and colic pain. It acts as a mild Laxative and reduces Bloating. It works very efficiently on a disease named IBS (Irritable bowel syndrome) which is very common nowadays that affects your day to day activities. CAC Panchsakar churna is 100% natural and pure. It is prepared from various herbs like Haritaki, Shunthi, Swaran Patri, Shatapushpa, and Saindhav Lavan that show antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and laxative properties.PANCHSAKAR CHURNA contains Haritaki (Terminalia Chebula), Shunthi (Zingiber Officinale), Saindhava Lavana (Rock Salt), Svarna Patri (Cassia Angustifolia), Shatapushpa (Foeniculum Vulgare)
DOSAGE: Take one tablespoon at night with normal water.