by Dr Vaid Ji on Aug 28, 2023
PCOD (Polycystic Ovarian Disease) is a condition in which the woman ovaries produce immature or partially mature eggs in large numbers and over the time these become cysts in ovaries. Due to this condition ovaries become large and secrete large amount of male hormones causing infertility, irregular menstrual cycles, and abnormal weight gain. PCOD and PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) sound similar they are slightly different health conditions both conditions are caused due to hormonal imbalance and ovarian overproduction; there is a difference in the consequences of the same. PCOS is a hormonal imbalance due to the overproduction of androgens in ovaries. PCOD is a hormonal imbalance due to overproduction of immature eggs in ovaries.
What are the causes of PCOD problems in females?
Certain factors are responsible for the PCOD problem in females include-
- Lifestyle habits: poor lifestyle habits such as eating excessive junk food, smoking, and excessive drinking, may also lead to insulin irregularities.
- Family history: there is a 50 percent possibility of getting PCOD among the women whose immediate female relatives suffer from As you grow older, this PCOD may lead to Type 2 diabetes, as PCOD is a risk factor for developing Diabetes.
- Androgen overproduction: if the ovaries produce high amounts of androgen, it can lead to PCOS condition. Excess androgen production disrupts the ovulation process. The eggs do not develop regularly and cannot get releases from the follicles where they develop, these causes irregular bleeding, infertility.
- Insulin resistance: Insulin hormone produced in the pancreas, helps convert sugar in your body into energy but sometimes, your body cells become resistant to insulin functioning, causing blood sugar levels to increase. As a natural immune response, your body makes more insulin to reduce blood sugar, this excess of insulin levels also causes your body to make an excess of the male sex hormone, and this may lead to PCOD problems that can impact ovulation.
Factors of Insulin Resistance-
- Insulin resistance as a result of being overweight
- Insulin resistance as a result of genetic factors
- A combination of both of these factors
- Overweight- higher weight may worsen insulin resistance. Women with PCOD report that they had never experienced symptoms such as excessive hair growth, menstrual irregularity and are a healthy weight, these symptoms only appear once they gain weight .Inflammation -Being overweight also can contribute to inflammation. PCOS can lead to increased levels of inflammation in women. PCOD that excess inflammation is linked to higher androgen level
There are certain common symptoms of PCOD:
- Heavy bleeding: since the periods are irregular, the buildup of the uterine wall is more; this leads to heavier bleeding whenever the periods happen.
- Irregular Menstruation: most common signs of PCOD are irregular menstruation, due to a high amount of male hormones, the body prevents ovulation.
- Hair growth: women who suffer from PCOD have hair growth on their face, back stomach and chest this is known as Hirsutism.
- Acne: due to higher amounts of male hormones, the skin secretes more oil causing more acne.
- Most women who suffer from PCOD are obese or overweight.
- Headaches are triggered by hormonal imbalance.
- Skin darkening: those women who suffer from PCOD observe a darkening of the skin in the groin and the neck region.
- Crown Baldness: those women who suffer from PCOD observe with a symptom of male pattern baldness with the hair thinning on the crown, some even suffer complete hair loss.
Complications due to PCOD :
- Infertility – PCOD causes infertility as it reduces the frequency of ovulation in the body.
- Endometrial Cancer- in PCOD there is delayed ovulation; the body experiences a thickening of the endometrium, the inner lining of the uterus. This increases the chances of getting endometrial cancer.
- Heart disease- PCOD increases the blood pressure in the body leading to vulnerability towards heart problem
- Depression – those women who are suffering from PCOD have depression due to hormonal imbalance in the body.
Management of PCOD according to Ayurveda-
In some cases, PCOD or PCOS is described as “granthi” ,which refers to the development of abnormalties like ulcers , cysts , lumps and tumors. In ayurveda, PCOs can be linked to weak Rasa and Rakta dhatus and an imbalance in the three doshas of the vata , pitta and kapha. These Rasa – rakta dhatus are weakened due to an imbalance in the three doshas ( vata, pitta, kapha) and the buildup of Ama in the body , this can cause cyst formation and other symptoms of PCOS and PCOD. Ayurveda body detoxification to remove the accumulated toxins
Some of important herbs for PCOD-
Dietary and Lifestyle habits to manage PCOD :
- Increasing the consumption of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains
- Reduce the intake of saturated fats, salt, refined carbs and refined sugar.
- Yoga- Bhujangasana , Sarvangasana, naukasana, Pranayama . these asana are helpful in PCOD
- Getting adequate amount of sleep
- Avoid caffeine from all sources of caffeinated beverages
- Eliminates unnecessary stress triggers from life
- Increase fiber in your diet
Here are some of the medications of Chandigarh Ayurved centre which are used for the treatment of PCOD:
1. Detox Premium Powder
This is a herbo-mineral preparation that contains ingredients like Parwal Pishti, Giloy satv, Shukta Pishti, Kamdudha Ras, Gandhak Rasayan, etc.
Parwal Pishti: This Pishti reduces inflammation, flaking, itching of the skin. The Pishti is composed of natural coral calcium processed with rose water.
Shukta Pishti: It helps to balance the Pitta dosha in the body. All signs and symptoms related to Psoriasis patients are managed with this article.
Giloy Satv: This satv is prepared from the herb Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia). The anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and analgesic properties of this herb deal with psoriasis easily.
Kamdudha Ras: This herbal-mineral classical preparation balances Pitta dosha in the body.
2. Gandhak Rasayana: This herbal preparation is used since ancient times for all types of skin disorders.
It contains ingredients like Shuddh parad, Aloe vera, Gandhak, etc that relieve redness in psoriasis patients.
Akik Pishti: This Pishti reduces all types of Pitta related disorder hence it gives good results in psoriasis.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 sachet twice daily with plain water.
3. Women Champion Syrup
Woman Champion is purely herbal and ayurvedic formulation. It is a very effective tonic for women and help to maintain their health. It balances all the doshas of body and also maintain hormone levels. It contains herbs like Lodhra, Manjishta, Ashok chaal, Punarnava,Shatavar,Bala,Daruharidra,Nagarmotha that help women typically with mood changes, stress, headache and pain. CAC Women champion helps in leading a life of minimum discomfort during those difficult days every month. It act as antioxidant, anti inflammatory, anti spasmodic, uterine tonic and immunity booster.
Recommended Dosage– Take 2 teaspoonful twice a day with normal water.
4. Kanchnaar Guggul
It is one of the very efficient Ayurvedic herbal medicine that contain ingredients like
Kanchnaar (Bauhinia variegata)
Shunti (Zingiber officinale)
Maricha (Piper nigrum)
Haritaki (Terminalia chebula)
Ela (Elettaria cardamomum), etc.
Kanchnaar guggul is mainly administrated in the cysts.These tablet are used in the condition of dysmenorrhea, menorrhagia. It is the best medicine for the Rakta – Shodaka.These tablets are very beneficial for hormonal imbalance. It enhances female reproductive health and infertility.
Recommended Dosage –Take 2 tablets twice a day with normal water.
5. Woman power tablet
It is a complete health supplement for women who are best for female health and vital energy. It helps to build up the immunity. This is a pure herbo mineral product of the best quality herbs. The herbs used are Ashoka, Shatavari, anatmool, etc. These are herbs used since ancient times to maintain female health metabolism. It works well in the reproductive system and other health-related disorders. The extract of these herbs is used which provides multiple health benefits. These herbs have the potential to improve female health and libido. The main Ingredients Rajah pravarthini vati, Femine care tablet, Shatavar extract, Ashoka chall extract, Ashwagandha extract, Giloy extract. It shows a great effect on menopausal women. It works well in hot flushes and mood swings. It regulates the female menstrual cycle, relieve menstrual pain, Used in leucorrhea is excessive discharge from the vagina, excessive menstruation, painful menstruation and delayed menstruation the herbs can alleviate almost every female problem when used for a long, regular period.
Dosage – 1 tab twice daily after meal.
6. Cyst Heal Tablet
CAC Cyst heal tablet is a pure ayurvedic medicine that contains various herbs extract that works on the any kind of abnormal growth like cyst, myoma, polyp, lipoma, lumps in breast, benign or malignant tumor. Cyst heal tablet helps in reducing any kind of abnormal growth in the body and reducing overall body weight. It treats menstrual irregularity, increases ovulation and follicular maturity, PCOS and treats female infertility as well.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 tablet twice daily with normal water.
7. Femine Care Tablet
Femine care tablet is a pure and natural remedy that contains various herbs extract that works on the female reproductive system and make it healthy. These tablets show antioxidant properties, anti inflamatory and immuno modulater properties.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 tablet twice daily with normal water.