POLYCYSTIC OVARIAN SYNDROME (PCOS)
by Dr Vaid Ji on Sep 22, 2023
POLYCYSTIC OVARIAN SYNDROME has today become a common condition that leads to irregular menstrual cycle, excessive hair growth, acne and infertility. PCOS occurs due to the hormonal imbalance due to excess hormones known as androgens, produced by ovaries. This results in imbalanced reproductive hormones leading to irregular menstrual cycles, missed periods and unpredictable ovulation. In an ultrasound small follicular cysts are visible on the ovaries a lot of times still despite the name it's not necessary to have cysts on your ovaries to have PCOS.
CAUSES OF PCOS
The exact cause of PCOS is not known but few of the reasons are mentioned below:
- When the level of androgen increases excessively, it causes ovulation difficulty that may cause reason for PCOS.
- Genetic reason can be a cause of PCOS For example: If in your family your mother, the grandmother is having a history of PCOS than you may have higher chances of developing PCOS.
- When ovaries produce high levels of androgen it results in acne and excessive hair growth.
- Lifestyle changes
- Cardiovascular diseases
- Sleep apnea
- Fat and cholesterol related abnormalities.
- Obesity can be a cause of PCOS in women as it increases inflammation in the body.
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF PCOS
The common signs & symptoms seen in PCOS patients are:
- After having one or more normal ones, there is no period during puberty i.e. secondary amenorrhea
- Irregular menstrual history
- Excessive hair growth over the face, around nipples and other body parts
- Size of breast decreases
- Weight gain
- The clitoris becomes Enlarged
- Hair thinning, depression, and mood swings
- Change in Voice i.e. it gets deeper
- Excessive bleeding during periods
- Acne Vulgaris that gets worse.
- The skin of the neck, underarms, and groin area become darker.
- Physical examination
- Menstrual history
- Blood examination(FBS and lipid profile)
- Thyroid profile
- USG of abdomen and vagina
- Breast cancer
- Cardiac complication
- High cholesterol
- Endometrial cancer
AYURVEDIC VIEW OF PCOS
According to Ayurveda PCOS can be clinically divided into two ways based on dosha dominance - Kapha Pradhan Dosha and Pitta Pradhan Dosha. It is related to artava kshaya in ayurveda. The patients who are kapha pradhan are more obese and tend to show the classical signs of PCOS.
Yoga asanas recommended for PCOS:
Yoga is so beneficial in maintaining the overall well being of an individual. it acts as a natural healing supplement in case of many diseases. Along with medicines, one can follow these asanas for better and fast recovery.
- Shavasana (corpse pose)- lie flat on ground, keeps legs apart by keepings arms and legs relaxed. palms facing upwards and relax. take a slow and deep breath. Practice for 10 min.
- Padamasana (lotus pose)-Sit on the ground with a straight spine. Bend right knee and place over left thigh with sole facing upwards and close to the abdomen. Keep your head straight and place hand over folded knees. practice for 1 min and breathe gently
- Balasana (child pose)sit on heels. keep knees apart and bring down your head to touch the floor and lay your torso down between your thighs. After this place your hands on the floor at the sides of the torso and relax your shoulders.
maintain this pose up to 1 min
- Naukasana (boat pose)- lie on the back with joined feet and arms resting beside. Take a deep breath and lift your head, chest, and feet above the ground. Keep eyes, toes, and fingers straight and take deep breaths. The pressure is felt in the abdominal region.
Benefits of yoga in PCOD:
- Help to maintain weights and prevent obesity
- Improves fertility
- Maintain stress levels
- Maintain GIT tract
1. Detox Premium Powder
This is a herbo-mineral preparation that contains ingredients like ParwalPishti, Giloysatv, ShuktaPishti, KamdudhaRas, GandhakRasayan, etc.
ParwalPishti: This Pishti reduces inflammation, flaking, itching of the skin. The Pishti is composed of natural coral calcium processed with rose water.
ShuktaPishti: It helps to balance the Pitta dosha in the body. All signs and symptoms related to Psoriasis patients are managed with this article.
GiloySatv: This satv is prepared from the herb Giloy (Tinosporacordifolia). The anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and analgesic properties of this herb deal with psoriasis easily.
KamdudhaRas: This herbal-mineral classical preparation balances Pitta dosha in the body.
GandhakRasayana: This herbal preparation is used since ancient times for all types of skin disorders.
It contains ingredients like Shuddhparad, Aloe vera, Gandhak, etc that relieve redness in psoriasis patients.
AkikPishti: This Pishti reduces all types of Pitta related disorder hence it gives good results in psoriasis.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 sachet twice daily with plain water.
2. Women Champion Syrup
Woman Champion is purely herbal and ayurvedic formulation. It is a very effective tonic for women and help to maintain their health. It balances all the doshas of body and also maintain hormone levels. It contains herbs like Lodhra, Manjishta, Ashok chaal, Punarnava,Shatavar,Bala,Daruharidra,Nagarmotha that help women typically with mood changes, stress, headache and pain. CAC Women champion helps in leading a life of minimum discomfort during those difficult days every month. It act as antioxidant, anti inflammatory, anti spasmodic, uterine tonic and immunity booster.
Recommended Dosage– Take 2 teaspoonful twice a day with normal water.
It is one of the very efficient Ayurvedic herbal medicine that contain ingredients like
Kanchnaar (Bauhinia variegata)
Maricha (Piper nigrum)
Ela (Elettariacardamomum), etc.
Kanchnaarguggul is mainly administrated in the cysts.These tablet are used in the condition of dysmenorrhea, menorrhagia. It is the best medicine for the Rakta – Shodaka.These tablets are very beneficial for hormonal imbalance. It enhances female reproductive health and infertility.
Recommended Dosage–Take 2 tablets twice a day with normal water.
4. Woman power tablet
It is a complete health supplement for women who are best for female health and vital energy. It helps to build up the immunity. This is a pure herbo mineral product of the best quality herbs. The herbs used are Ashoka, Shatavari, anatmool, etc. These are herbs used since ancient times to maintain female health metabolism. It works well in the reproductive system and other health-related disorders. The extract of these herbs is used which provides multiple health benefits. These herbs have the potential to improve female health and libido. The main Ingredients Rajah pravarthinivati, Femine care tablet, Shatavar extract, Ashokachall extract, Ashwagandha extract, Giloy extract. It shows a great effect on menopausal women. It works well in hot flushes and mood swings. It regulates the female menstrual cycle, relieve menstrual pain, Used in leucorrhea is excessive discharge from the vagina, excessive menstruation, painful menstruation and delayed menstruation the herbs can alleviate almost every female problem when used for a long, regular period.
Dosage– 1 tab twice daily after meal.
5. Cyst Heal Tablet
CAC Cyst heal tablet is a pure ayurvedic medicine that contains various herbs extract that works on the any kind of abnormal growth like cyst, myoma, polyp, lipoma, lumps in breast, benign or malignant tumor. Cyst heal tablet helps in reducing any kind of abnormal growth in the body and reducing overall body weight. It treats menstrual irregularity, increases ovulation and follicular maturity, PCOS and treats female infertility as well.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 tablet twice daily with normal water.
6. Femine Care TabletFemine care tablet is a pure and natural remedy that contains various herbs extract that works on the female reproductive system and make it healthy. These tablets show antioxidant properties, anti inflamatory and immunomodulater properties.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 tablet twice daily with normal water.