by Dr Vaid Ji on Nov 17, 2023
DESCRIPTION :Tila or sesame whose botanical name is Sesamum indicum is an annual flowering plant in the Pedaliaceae family, known for its edible seeds. Sesame seeds are small, flat seeds with a nutty flavor and a delicate texture. Seeds have different colours, including white, black and brown. Sesame seeds are a rich source of protein, healthy fats and various minerals.
MEDICINAL PROPERTIES OF SESAME :
RASA : madhura, tikta.
ANURASA : kshaya
GUNA : sukshma, ushna, tikshna, guru.
VIRYA : ushna
VIPAKA : madhura
EFFECT ON TRIDOSHA : balance vata & kapha.
PROPERTIES OF SESAME :
- Sesame seeds boast several nutritional properties, including being a good source of protein, healthy fats and various minerals.
- They contain antioxidants, such as sesamol and are rich in vitamin E.
- Sesame seeds also provide essential minerals like copper, manganese and calcium.
- They contribute to heart health by containing monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats.
- The seeds have potential anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer properties.
BENIFITS AND USES OF SESAME :
Sesame offers numerous benefits and versatile uses:
- Culinary: Widely used in cooking, sesame seeds add flavor and texture to various dishes, such as salads, stir-fries and baked goods.
- Oil Production: Sesame oil, extracted from the seeds, is a flavorful cooking oil with a high smoke point.
- Baking: Sesame seeds are often sprinkled on bread, buns or cookies for added taste and visual appeal.
- Nutrient-Rich: High in protein, healthy fats, vitamins (especially vitamin E) and minerals (like copper and manganese).
- Heart Health: The monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats in sesame seeds support heart health.
- Antioxidants: Sesame seeds contain antioxidants such as sesamol, which help combat oxidative stress.
- Bone Health: Rich in calcium, sesame seeds contribute to bone health and help prevent osteoporosis.
- Anti-Inflammatory: Some compounds in sesame seeds exhibit potential anti-inflammatory effects.